Cuil - an alternative search engine

Tried it , don't like it, won't be going back. Google still rocks.

PS I am not affiliated to Google.:)

Try Cuil.com as a substitute search engine.

I didn't ask.

Well, you kinda did ...

Or were you addressing your original post to people who were only going to agree with you ... ? If so, apologies for responding.

I have no inclination to bother trying to convince you.

OP, if you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, or questioning your posts, perhaps an internet message board isn't the best social outlet for you. You do seem a little wound-up. I can recommend yoga, it's most invigorating.

Well, you kinda did ...
Actually, I didn't. It was a suggestion to try an alternative search engine.
Nowhere did I 'ask' anyone what they thought of it.

Or were you addressing your original post to people who were only going to agree with you ... ? If so, apologies for responding.
Agree with me ? On what discussion ? Where did I say that ?

OP, if you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, or questioning your posts, perhaps an internet message board isn't the best social outlet for you. You do seem a little wound-up. I can recommend yoga, it's most invigorating.
Again, I fail to see the disagreement or argument, but there you go.
I'm also sorry that you feel that message boards aren't for me. Psychoanalysis of anonymous usernames must be a wonderous joy, I feel so unfulfilled :)

Yawn ... moved to LOS.

Got to disgree with you there, ClubMan. This is actually getting interesting.

Nowhere did I 'ask' anyone what they thought of it.

OP, you post a link to a new search engine. You praise it as "very good". If you don't care what the members of AAM think about this amazing new discovery, why on earth would you bother posting? Why not just keep it to yourself? Never mind yoga, a chat with a psychologist might be of use ...

Again, I fail to see the disagreement or argument, but there you go.

The "argument" is that you appear offended that I would ask if you had any affiliation with the said website. First of all, as a member and longtime fan of AAM, I believe I am entitled to ask the question. Such questions help to maintain the quality of information and debate on this forum. I have already explained my reasons for asking if you had any affiliation with Cuil. Other posters on this thread also questioned whether you were affiliated, so it's not just me.

I really don't believe such a harmless question warrants all this posturing from yourself. I hope you sent me a PM because you are unable to post in LOS, and not because you're so hopping mad. Try not to get so excited. Peace man. :cool:

I thought 'cuil' meant 'goal' ?

From my point of view, I didn't see this as 'selling' anything, nor did I wonder about any hidden agenda a) I don't know why OP was asked, and b) I don't see what the fuss is about.
If it works better for OP/others then well and good. If it doesn't, then that's well and good too.

Incidentally, I use www.blackle.com :)

If this is a social outlet, I best get meself a life:D

if you search for 'cuil' on the cuil search engine, they don't seem to be able to find themselves !

maybe finding themselves would be a good first step towards understanding, growth and prosperity for their business !

I don't like the format the results come in, couldn't find what I was looking for, and they present themselves as Irish but I couldn't see anywhere to search pages from Ireland like on Google.ie, also Google offers the service as gaeilge!

I tried it out and I was underwhelmed. It is rubbish compared to Google. They'd want to come up with something better than this.

Could this thread be the reason for this today??:rolleyes:

[broken link removed]
You can just feel the marketing machines chugging away.

I was very underwhelmed but I can see where it's aiming. It's got a very Web2.0 feel and tries to present more of a networked set of information, however that networked approach is very hard to do elegantly and can lead to something of as mangled UI.

I'll reserve judgement till I get the opinion of some 14 year olds as to whether they found it intuitive. People with a Bebo mindset may find it ideal.

Back