Cuil - an alternative search engine

Taliesen

Note - I have changed the title of this thread as the original title is being used by the company as an advertising slogan. Taliesen has been asked if he is connected to Cuil and has not responded -
Brendan
Administrator

Try Cuil.com as a substitute search engine. I just read about it on BBC News

It seems very good, I found exactly what I was looking for (website url forgotten but details remembered) very quickly. Google returned far too many 50% matches etc....

Re: Google is dead. Long live Cuil

hmm....I tried searching for someone I know is out there with inverted comments - nothing

I tried it without them - worked - but took way longer than google.
- But that brought up all the common sites I didn't want, so added in more words that work with google to bring me to the correct site - got nothing.

So in my 30 seconds of using it - couldn't get near what I wanted (even though I knew exactly what it was I was looking for)

They've a bit of work in my opinion to get there.
- Can search say irish sites only
- doesn't have the same operator commands of other (not just google) sites, e.g. using parentheses, +, -, etc...
- very slow when compared to running the same search simultaneously on google

Pity - I was excited about this!

Same here. did a search on Google and found the person I wanted within seconds. Couldn't on Cuil. Nice presentation page but not the info I wanted. I'll be sticking with Google

It's new, give it a chance. You cannot expect it to be good immediately on every search, but I'll be using it as much as possible.
I previously used Snap, clusty etc also. None were fantastic but I'd like to see a little bit of diversity amongst search engines.

I've tried it a few times, initially (and as reported on some Tech sites), it was redirecting to following page: [broken link removed] but it seems to be accessible now but slow.

I just a few random searches that found no results and that I know should return loads of hits. I'll probably give it a chance over the next few weeks and if it improves will start to phase out google - something I've been meaning to do but never got around to.

One other one that I noticed is inconsistent results. I searched for "the dark knight" (with quotes) and it found nothing, did the EXACT same search a minute later and it found 200k results.

5 mins of playing with it and I'm not impressed. It won't be replacing google for me any time soon.

Gave it a try, don't like it and like others the result I wanted didn't appear. Will be giving it a miss.

It seems very good, I found exactly what I was looking for (website url forgotten but details remembered) very quickly. Google returned far too many 50% matches etc....

I tried 3 searches, no returns without quotes and when I used quotes it brought back hits that I hadnt searched for.

No advanced searches, no site specific searches, no site translation, no site exclusion wordlist. So with other users experiences as well, I for one dont think its very good at all.

I tried it, very very slow. New or not, it shouldnt be on BBC if it cant offer a decent range of sites and most importantly quickly.. if it doesn't improve it will have no chance of competing with google

As MrMan rightly asked....why ? Can you not read the first line of my original post ?

Obviously my plug/defence of the 'little guy' equates to a vested interest :rolleyes:

Because you have a low post count, you plug a little known search-engine, then you go on the defensive when people criticise it. Apologies for the obvious offence I've caused with asking this rather harmless question. Fight the power dude. ;)

oh ... and since you ask, I think the site is rubbish. I can't see it being a google-killer any time soon.

Kramer are you insinuating that someone would join Askaboutmoney, post a few aimless posts for a few weeks, then plug something when they've ten or twenty posts under their belts? I can't believe anyone would be so devious :D

of course ...

I have spent 3 years and 981 posts just building up a profile so I can go pimping my pyramid scheme website ;)

Back