Cross border price differences?

Ash

The significant savings which can be made shopping for groceries and foodstuffs in the North is well documented.
Does the same apply across the board in other retail areas?
Specifically in electrical goods, computers, etc. Are prices in Northern Ireland branches of, say, Currys, PCWorld, Argos or similar stores cheaper than those in the same store branches in the Republic?
And if so, by what percent, roughly? Worth a trip?

It applies to just about everything i think,i know someone who buys all there stuff there,everything from groceries to furniture.

We do practically all our shopping in NI, with the exception of petrol.

It has been our experience that that the majority of consumer purchases from groceries to electrical goods are cheaper. There are probably savings to be made in the Republic on some items I'm sure, but not often.

Really the only grocery shopping we do in the Republic is for the regular incidentals like bread/milk etc.

But then again, we live very close to the border so it's easier for us than for many others.

We do a run from Carlow to the North about every 2 months. Bulk of what we get is baby related. Biggest saving is in baby milk. The smallie can't drink the powdered stuff so we were having to buy small cartons @ €1.20 a carton, corresponding price in NI ranges from €0.7-€0.8, therefore we are saving around €100 a month alone on that. Also small fortune to be saved in nappies, wipes etc, and toiletries and wine and magazines.

And the staff in the shops in the North are almost always nice. I can't get used to not getting ignored or grunted at as often happens down her.

Have to agree that the staff in the shops in the North are friendlier, it's quite a shock to the system - particularly in Sainsbury's in Newry, the check-out staff always chat to the customers and ask if you would like help packing your bags.

A ridiculous generalisation if you don't mind me saying so.

No, I don't mind you saying so. I just don't agree with you

Incidentally, Supervalue in Newry at the weekend were offering an exchange rate of £0.85p to a €

We went to Newry initially, but lately we've been going a bit further North to a large Sainsbury's in Sprucefield. Tends to be much quieter and has a large Argos, Curries and Toys R us on the same site and bags of parking

The Outlet Centre in Banbridge is also populer. Been there once, has a lot more shops then Kildare

We went in to Banbridge as well this time, nice town, lots of small shops, eg, where we parked there were 2 very good and quite reasonably priced small art galleries/framing shops across the road from each other, 2 wool shops across the road from each other. A town worth a stroll through

Quite a large population of Donegal would Frequent Strabane/ Derry where Asda\Sainsburys are located fro groceries as well as electrical & household goods. For any one looking for cheaper prams/ buggies there is a shop in Omagh that stocks most brands of buggies & prams at much more reasonable prices as I found out when purchasing our first pram/buggy. I also know of people living in north Leitrim / Sligo who frequent Enniskillen to avail of Asda and other shops like Heatons etc. There is value to be had in N Ireland you just need to do your homework as some items do end up dearer but the majority would be cheaper its just knowing what to buy in N Ire and what to buy in R O I. Incidentally the majority of staff are pleasant as they appreciate that 1. they need the trade from ROI and 2 ROI is dearer so they expect more ROI residents and want to paint a pleasant picture of their country to entice you back.

. There is value to be had in N Ireland you just need to do your homework as some items do end up dearer but the majority would be cheaper its just knowing what to buy in N Ire and what to buy in R O I.

Indeed.
Incidentally the majority of staff are pleasant as they appreciate that 1. they need the trade from ROI and 2 ROI is dearer so they expect more ROI residents and want to paint a pleasant picture of their country to entice you back.

Of course the vast majority of shop staff in NI are very pleasant. As are the vast majority of shop staff in ROI. However, as I said earlier, its a nonsense to pretend that there are never any exceptions to this, on either side of the border.

No, I don't mind you saying so. I just don't agree with you

Incidentally, Supervalue in Newry at the weekend were offering an exchange rate of £0.85p to a €
That's right but go in and check out the prices. They're way dearer than Sainsburys or dunnes.

I go to Asda in Enniskillen, find it great for most things like alcohol, soft drinks, snacks and dog food.

Cosmetics and household products seem cheaper too, as are the clothes. I try to go every couple of months.

Actually you are better off not to shop in the border towns. Much better value can be obtained by travelling 20 miles inland.

I have seen better value in food, clothes and drink certainly.

Has anybody bought gas appliances up north? I am interested in buying a gas fire (insert) and would welcome any recommendations for suppliers in NI.

Back