CRO Requirements - Sign at Registered Offices

S

ShaneRyan

Hi All,

Couldn't find anything on this by searching the site so here's my question.

I got the VAT Registration for my Limited Company last week and at the bottom of the notice it mentions that all Limited Companies must have a sign at their registered office.

I'm an IT Contractor so my registered office is also my home address. Having spoken to an architect I know, erecting a sign (even as simple as putting a small sign on a wall at the front of the house or in the window) requires planning permission.

Is it really neccessary to have a sign in my case?

Thanks,

Shane

Displaying the company name
Every business must paint or affix its name on the outside of every office or place in which the business is carried on, even if it is a directors home. The name must be both conspicuous and legible.

In addition, the company must state its name, in legible lettering, on company letter heads, order forms, invoices, etc. For further information on the statutory requirements, see Information Leaflet No.7, Company/Business Name Letterheads.

[broken link removed]

The rules are pretty clear however in practice they don't seem to be applied or hugely relevant?

Yeah I was aware of Leaflet No. 7's contents, my question however probably wasn't clear...

Has anyone had experience of the CRO enforcing this? Seems a bit much to have to obtain planning permission for a sign really...

your question didnt ask that.

Generally it isnt enforced, as the case of a Registered office situated at the accountants office would show. Lets say an accountant has 100 companies' regsitered offices at his or her address, they cant really put 100 name plates outside the office can they? But under Company Law they should.

But lets say the Company carries out its business elsewhere (a factory for example), the name plate should be in this place also.

Yeah I was aware of Leaflet No. 7's contents, my question however probably wasn't clear...

Has anyone had experience of the CRO enforcing this? Seems a bit much to have to obtain planning permission for a sign really...

Am i correct in saying that if you are running a business from a Residential address dont you need planning permission for this? (not every business type would be included)

Am i correct in saying that if you are running a business from a Residential address dont you need planning permission for this? (not every business type would be included)

This is hardly necessary for all businesses? It would be ludicrous for example to compel an IT Contractor who does some work from a pc in their sitting room to get planning permission for this?

This is hardly necessary for all businesses? It would be ludicrous for example to compel an IT Contractor who does some work from a pc in their sitting room to get planning permission for this?

yeah I know, that why I said that not all business types would be included..

Sorry, should have been more specific (again...)

The planning permission is not for working from an address, it is for erecting the sign at a residential address.

If I didn't need to get planning for the sign I wouldn't have a problem with putting one up..

Back