Criteria for oak dining table?

Toby

I want to get a big oak dining table and chairs. It will be used for everyday use as well as entertaining so needs to be able to stand up to wear and tear. I want it to be with us for a long time and to almost improve with age if possible. I've seen oak tables in Habitat etc but they look flimsy - I want something really solid. Are they any particular features I should ask for i.e. the finish on the wood etc? Thanks.

I recently bought a 10 seater very solid oak table from Flannagans in Buncrana, Co. Donegal. I believe they also have an outlet near mount merrion. It looks built to last and hope it becomes an antique many years from now.

go for solid oak with a lacquered finish. wax or oiled finishes need maintainence and leave white stains.
prestige behind woodies on the naas road have them from 600 euro

For a decent, solid oak table and six chairs expect to pay at least €1500- for something substantial that's going to last.

I'm looking for something similar. More along the lines of 4 chairs and a bench with the table. Around 1.8m.

I saw one in Furniture Depot in Sallins but it was almost €2.5K which is slightly out of my budget for a kitchen table:)

Anyone have any idea where I could go to get one of these?? My budget would be up to around €1.5K

Famous Furniture over on the Long Mile Road have a lot of solid oak dining tables. They have different shapes and sizes so you may find something there in the €1.5k range

Hi,

We got one in the Dublin furniture centre in capel street a couple of months ago and we're very happy with it.
It's extendable, sits 8. It cost us 1750, it was 1450 with 6 chairs and we bought two more for 150 each.
They've had a couple of different types.

Thanks for the tip about the lacquered finish. I'd say we'd be willing to spend up to 2K on the table and chairs but if we don't have to spend that much it'd be great too. I'm just wondering do you get what you pay for i.e. custom made or Flannigans type, or would something cheaper be just as good as long as its solid wood. It'd say it makes a difference how its all put together as well so is it worth going for the expensive ones?

Try laura Ashley, I got a terrific oiled oak table there last year, very solid and takes a lot of abuse. Can get them with extension leaves, well within your budget especially if you buy in the sale

I ordered an oak table and 6 chairs of Harvey Norman this weekend, was looking for one since 5 months. This one fits well with the oak used in the kitchen, looks very sturdy(heavy) 6 ft long, extending to 7.5 ft and it actually looks nice and classic (I was very sceptic towards extending tables), best thing was the price: 1400 down to 1250.

Back