Crisp'n'dry vs. Diesel

Horatio

I see that most diesel cars can run on crisp'n'dry & white spirit/turpentine fuel mix. Top gear featured this on a volvo car some time back the car ran smoothly on this mix (no diesel whatsoever) & was certified by an AA guy at the end as having no adverse effects, has anyone tried to run their car on recycled vegetable oil & spirit mix (filtered obviously).
I'd like to hear opinions on any experiences plus legal & tax implications of doing so.

Anyone willing to run an experiment if I post the details here?

It can be done, although to keep it legal you'd need to pay excise duty to the Revenue.

Are you saying they just poured it of of the bottle and into the tank or did they mix it with Diesel first?I'm wondering could you use the Lidl or Aldi Equivalent to crisp'n dry!

you are going to damage a modern diesel engine doing this!
some older diesel engines can be run on GOOD QUALITY rapeseed oil without too many issues but most need modification of some sort for it to be a long term solution.

A modern high pressure diesel engine will be wrecked.

Check out www.elsbett.com and and www.eilishoils.com

you are going to damage a modern diesel engine doing this!http://www.eilishoils.com

Yup, what he and olddog said.

I actually know someone who spend the best part of a year running his Passat tdi on veg oil. Reckoned he was a genius until he had to pay the best part of a grand after wrecking the injectors and some other parts.

Grilling is much better for your engine than frying........;)

it can be done... in fact I am converting 2 cars over the next 2 months, including a 2003 Passat... but you have to modify your engine and other components and ensure you are using good quality veggie oil.

On some older engines you can shove in a decent mix of veggie and diesel without too much hassle, increasing the amount of diesel in cold weather.

Do you have a rough Idea of the price of converting and can you use diesel(only) with the conversion without any negative effects.

It's not illegal. It would however be a crime not to pay duty on the fuel.

Why do you have to pay duty on the fuel? - I don't get this.
If I built a steam engine car, would I have to pay duty on the coal?
Sounds as ridiculous as the TV licence.

there is no duty (currently) on SVO. However, you have to pay VAT. The veggie oil in Tesco has no VAT on it as it's food. You can therefore go and buy it for 66c/litre but it's hassle if you are running on 100%.

When you buy approved SVO (from eilish oils for example) you are paying VAT and get all the receipts in case the Revenue stop you.

A kit from elsebett will cost you about €2000 including fitting. This money can be recouped in 2-3 years for highosh mileage "diesel" users.

With a full conversion there are supposedly no negative effects but there is lots of debate. Evidence suggests that there are of course negatvie effects in runing SVO in a diesel engine... but the changes the kits make are supposed to negate all that. They install bigger bore fuel lines, heated filter, backups filters, stronger glow plugs and different injector nozzles. In new high pressure engines they also remap the ECU.

Based on what I have read I am going to give it a go.

Sheesh!,
did'nt realise there was a whole industry supporting this, I was basically talking about using recycled veg oil & mixing with spirit for use in an old clunker, you know, a "crusty" type effort. Probably in one of those VW hippy vans with the split windscreens.

anyone doing this "crusty effort" on their own ? Whats your 0-100Km/h timing ?

using recycled veggie oil (called WVO waste veggie oil) without cleaning will kill your engine. You must filter it and "de-water" it and you will be left with glycerine as a byproduct. it also takes time to clean it etc etc

BTW there is no difference to performance or fuel consumption.

Hi all,

My dad thoght he discovered this!!! He has no value on cars, buys a second had car usually 3-4 yrs old and drives it until it stops. At the moment he uses half diesel half veg oil (from aldi). He swears the car has never run better. Mind you if he over takes me it smells like a chip van!! It is an oldish car 98 citron, but i wouldn't be doning this with a 03 passat.

Good luck

I was assured yesterday that I could buy vegetable oil in Aldi and pour it straight into my 05 Mondeo TDCI with absolutely no ill effects. Is this true and what age car can you use it safely in?

Slim

Back