CrimeCall: RTE's new comedy show.

A

ajapale

Has anyone seen RTE's new comedy show CrimeCall? I understand that it is really hillarious and that after just one show already has a small cult folllowing.

ajapale

Yeah - hilarious stuff. I'd say that the victims and families of the victims of the crimes covered found it very entertaining... No doubt you enjoyed the Ken Bigley reality TV show over the past few days too? :rolleyes

Do enlighten us AJ, dont just leave it there, why was it so rib ticklingly funny?

Bet your sorry you said anything now AJ!
I think I know what you meant though...

I think I saw bits of it.

The scariest bit about it is that people who rob places now don't even bother covering their faces. There were a number of videos where the person just walked in, demanded money and left. No attempt to cover up.

z

OK stobear and <> I shouldn't have adopted such facetious tone surrounding such a serious topic as crime and victims of crime. sorry.

On relfection, the show was a sad and shambolic mess. Poor production values (e.g. crooked camera angles), poor inarticulate underprepared presenters and a general ameteurish feel to the programme.

Yes, it was embarrassing yet strangely compulsive viewing as you waited for the next foul up.

It reminded me of D'Unbelievalbes or an early Dermot Morgan sketch (hence the facetious remark).

I wonder how victims and their families feel when they see this embarrassing and amateurish programme?

ajapale

I was watching the program when by wife sat down to watch it. After 5 minutes she asked me was it a piss take of crime watch!

I tough the program was terrible and the presenters were brutal yet fair play to them for having a go.

Johno

AJ
Thanks, but I was geniunely curious to know why it was so funny, but the 'rib tick....' comment may have may it sound sarcastic, it wasn't supposed to be!

I watched it and it was so amatuerish you could only assume it was a sketch of some kind. This begs the question, why do they have to actually do the show live ? Why can't they do a take and then have the phones and presenters there giving updates as need be in a live studio ?

I tough the program was terrible and the presenters were brutal yet fair play to them for having a go.

Sweet Devine!!!!!
Have our expectations of the State Broadcaster sunk to such a level that their efforts are now excused with a "fair play to them for having a go"?

That's the sort of critical review I'd expect of a Junior Infant's school play. (Or TV3 News!!!)

We don't pay a license fee to watch people "Have a go".

-Rd

> Poor production values (e.g. crooked camera angles)

Ever since NYPD Blue hit our screens all those years ago that still seems to be trendy thing to do.

> I wonder how victims and their families feel when they see this embarrassing and amateurish programme?

If it helps apprehend the perpetrators of crime then I'm sure that they won't worry too much about the production values or allegedly unprofessional presenters. Of course whether or not programmes such as this do actually help in this respect is another debate altogether...

daltonr

Apologies for expressing an opinion.

The program was live so the public did not know how crap they would be until after the program was aired,hence fair play for having a go.

I hope the above is not to child like for you.

Johno

Myself & the missus were in stiches watching the show. At the end of lines of Gardai answering the phone, there was what I'd swear was somebody's brother & sister dressed in mysterious black, just sitting there watching proceedings, doing nothing. At the end of the show when the Hector-clone presenter went back to the Guard on the phones for an update, the Guard spoke for about 3 minutes with his head turned away from the camera towards the presenter behind him.

It was incredibly amateurish.

Hi <>,

Did you see the programme?

The low production values (the camera angle was only one of many problems) and the very poor presentation detracted from the purpose of the program.

The unprofessional "a shure it'll do approach" reflects very badly on the Guards, RTE and the producers of the programme.

ajapale

johno,

Somehow you've got it into your head that i was criticising you. I was criticising RTE for creating such low expectations in it's viewers.

Sorry if you took offense, none intended.

-Rd

Is there a reason why this show is not featured on RTÉ's website? I can only assume that they are too embarrassed to do so.

ajapale

Rd

Had a bit of a thick head on Thursday. No offense taken!

Johno

No prob johno, we're all entitled to a day like that from time to time.

-Rd

Crime call

Quote:

"I wonder how victims and their families feel when they see this embarrassing and amateurish programme?"

Surely the point of the programme is to appeal for help from the public. If so, then the production team need to do something to attract viewers. After all, any of us could be victims of crime and appear on the programme in future episodes. How much comfort and hope can we take knowing that the programme is so bad that practically nobody in the country is watching it?

Back