Crew Cabs

Rujib

Hi,

I am currently driving a Nissan Terrano long wheel base commercial as my company car.
It is due for renewal shortly and I am considering the new Nissan Navara crew cab, as it is classed as commercial like my Terrano, but has the advantage of a back row of seats, so I can carry the kids, now and again.

The new 06 Navara, is built on the chassis of the latest Pathfinder, which is a really impressive vehicle, but way above my price range in passenger configuration.

However, I understand that ride comfort and road handeling in crew cabs, may not be too hot due to the leaf spring type of rear suspension employed.

Can anyone give me some advice here.
I am living in the country, and the vehicle would be 80% used on winding country roads.

Thanks

Can you commercially insure the Navara cab crew for rear passengers or will you have to get private insurance and private road tax to do this?

If as stated above that the vehicle will be used to carry family members then the insurance will have to be private. Though your question is not relevent to the thread.

I'm sorry Racso but its very relevant (in my opinion) if you want to buy any Crew Cab vehicle that one knows that it has to be insured and taxed as a private vehicle if you want to carry family members in the back, which would add to its running cost considerably.
And also if the vehicle is classed as private it wouldn’t qualify for VAT back on the purchase price.

UPDATED:
To keep it more relevant, i had a look at www.nissan.ie and it does look a very nice buy!
(nissan have the Navara under the commerical part of the the website)
So it looks like if you want to get the VAT back on the purchase it looks like it has to be used as a commerical vehicle only.

mc-BigE said:
I'm sorry Racso but its very relevant (in my opinion) if you want to buy any Crew Cab vehicle that one knows that it has to be insured and taxed as a private vehicle if you want to carry family members in the back, which would add to its running cost considerably.
And also if the vehicle is classed as private it wouldn’t qualify for VAT back on the purchase price.

Hi,

From what I know, crew cabs are classed as commercial vehicles full stop. Was'nt there some legislation brought in circa 1998 or so to reclassify such vehicles out of "private" and into the "commercial" category.

For example, I am pretty sure that a VAT registered business can reclaim the VAT element of the purchase.

As for insurance, I would of course insure to carry passengers.

Maybe, I am all confused here, but I do not believe so.

Thanks

It’s an interesting one, that’s for sure!

I know that the double cab pickup is classed at 13.3% VRT as apposed to 50 euro flat VRT for other commericals

I suppose the question to ask the insurance company is can you insure a Commercially taxed vehicle with family members in the rear of a double Cab pickup?

Please let us know how you get on.

Regarding the Navara itself, it looks impressive

but also look at Ford Ranger [broken link removed]-

toyota Hilux http://www.toyota.ie/

Mazda B-series http://www.mazda.ie

I own two crew cabs, a merc vito,and a VW transporter, both comercial and insured for passengers with open driving for anyone over 25 and can be used in conection with my buisness and for social domestic and pleasure purpeses I also have a van with same insurance

Hi Rujib, just going off your subject. I noticed on one of your previous posts that back in 2005 you visited a place in Poland called Wroclaw. I am looking into purchasing an oversea property and Wroclaw has been mentioned to me as a great place to buy. Would you have any suggestions or comments?

Much Appreciated, Ktwo.

ktwo said:
Hi Rujib, just going off your subject. I noticed on one of your previous posts that back in 2005 you visited a place in Poland called Wroclaw. I am looking into purchasing an oversea property and Wroclaw has been mentioned to me as a great place to buy. Would you have any suggestions or comments?

Much Appreciated, Ktwo.

Ktwo,

Well, I have been to Wroclaw 4 times in all at this stage.
3 times on business and once with the family on holiday.

I am really impressed by the place and the old town is just beautiful.
I did consider looking at property myself, but I have come around to the conclusion that, this foreign property craze is just an accident waiting to happen, so I have decided stick nearer home.

Overall, I would be quite optomostic about Wroclaw's economic future and in terms of a place to visit I can best sum it up as follows.
As I said I took my family there last year, for 5 days. Mum, two teenagers and two younger kids. They absoluely loved it. In fact of all the places wqe have visited over the past 5 years and there have been quite a few, Wroclaw, is rated highest by a mile.

So, if you are serious about investing I suggest you make a couple of visits to see for yourself.

Rujib

Brother in law had a Mitsubishi crew cab and it was a terrible rough ride -especially in the rear seats. Wouldn't fancy putting children in the back -they'd def. be sick!

Back