Credit Union Withdrawal from elderly woman's account made by in-law

Hi Thank you she had a medical card it paid medication I have statements from the nursing home there was only a weekly charge for to have her hair cut etc she did get a special chair €500.00 subsidised by the medical card
Who paid for the hair cut etc? How much was it?

It's not a good idea to leave a house vacant for 3 years, it's much better that someone lives in it and takes care of it. Did the medical card pay the full €500?

So your brother and SIL stopped speaking to you after your mother died when you asked them for receipts for the last 3 years. Who looked after the house and why were you not involved.

I forgot about that, one of my relations in a nursing home still has VHI costing, €2,000 annually. I will edit my post.
So does that mean the deceased had her premiums to be paid. Who paid them then.

If the deceased had private healthcare, someone was paying it.

In my relations case, I paid the VHI from my relations account.

I administered affairs for two of my elderly relations who were or are still in nursing homes under Fair Deal, paid all their bills etc from their accounts.

In addition to their basic assessed contribution under Fair Deal, each would have spent more than €7,000 annually on legitimate costs.

That’s why I ask the question, is the O/p sure family members got away with €21,000 over 3 years.

Could this money have been spent for legitimate reasons.

I administered affairs for two of my elderly relations who were or are still in nursing homes under Fair Deal, paid all their bills etc from their accounts.

All I know is that my deceased uncle had extra costs that had to be paid for. My late mother and her sisters were managing this. Plus there was a house to be looked after. They arranged the ESB to be paid, the insurance, gardening. And I know they often bought him stuff to the home, like clothing or food etc. But I also clearly remember thinking it was amazing he was entitled to whatever the state would give but you still had to pay extra on top. And of course he had to be buried but I can't remember how that was paid but there was no money or he didn't own the house as he only had a life interest.

This could have been resolved if you set up a joint account together and paid all the bills through that.
kept all receipts and done annual accounts. So the question is why did no one do this.

What are the credit union rules for an" inlaw" to transfer large amounts from an 83 yrs old women (credit union account to a bank account) (and then making withdrawals with an atm card ) in a nursing home unable to care for herself and unable to write The in -law provided signed letter from the old woman to allow the withdrawal it was not witnessed and was hand written by the person making the withdrawal it appears to be a forged signature.
Do the credit union not verify the signature and request a witness to the signature before releasing the money

I would be surprised if the CU did this. I had to do something similar and even as nominated on the account, we had to provide all sorts of ID. To get this set up we needed to bring the account holder in person. When this was was not possible we needed a letter from the solicitor acting as administrator.

There's also other costs like property tax, house insurance etc. all this has to be paid. Who paid all that.

Have you notified the Garda?

Brendan
The police have no interest in the problem because our mother has passed away
This could have been resolved if you set up a joint account together and paid all the bills through that.
kept all receipts and done annual accounts. So the question is why did no one do this.

I would be surprised if the CU did this. I had to do something similar and even as nominated on the account, we had to provide all sorts of ID. To get this set up we needed to bring the account holder in person. When this was was not possible we needed a letter from the solicitor acting as administrator.
Our SIL told us she would after our mother’s affairs while she was in the home I was working overseas for 3 yrs so therefore it seem like a good idea to let her look after the accounts The Credit Union gave out 3 lumps on 3 occasions on the basis of the hand written letter by our SIL with our mothers supposed Sig to give her permission to make the withdrawals no witness to the signature by the home etc One question the money is gone but we would like to see where it was spent ie receipts but we were told by our SIL. She did not keep receipts we know we are now flogging a dead horse but other people beware of a similar situation Thank you for your response

I wonder is there some regularity authority you could complaint to about the CU actions.
Though I don't think it would recover any money at this point.
Seems very little money to fall out out over, or indeed to go to all that effort to get.
But then I've heard a good few similar stories. No uncommon.

I suspect there was some bitterness about having being left to it. Regardless of what was said at the time.
But I'm always wary of people who are reluctant to keep figures on what they are doing.

So are we I would have thought they would have required verification of the signature sine she was 86 when she was supposed to have signed the note
I wonder is there some regularity authority you could complaint to about the CU actions.
Though I don't think it would recover any money at this point.
Seems very little money to fall out out over, or indeed to go to all that effort to get.
But then I've heard a good few similar stories. No uncommon.

I suspect there was some bitterness about having being left to it. Regardless of what was said at the time.
But I'm always wary of people who are reluctant to keep figures on what they are doing.
hi thank you for your response we believe we are wasting out time now but we would have liked to know how the money was spent and why the CU gave out the money in the first place on a note

I can't help but think that there is an entire other side to this story. Your brother and sister in law may have squandered your mother's money as you presume or they may have incurred very legitimate expenses in managing her property and finances while she was incapacitated. Either way you were not personally involved when they were managing all this and unfortunately it looks like you will have to take the consequences of that and move on.

I think you have to decide to filter the positives in life not the negatives.
Thank you understood
If anyone else is in the situation. Setup a join account with web access. Use a card for all purchases. Keep all receipts. No arguments later.
Hi We know now but when you can’t trust family in these circumstances who can you trust at a time like this with an old women spending her last days in a nursing home
I can't help but think that there is an entire other side to this story. Your brother and sister in law may have squandered your mother's money as you presume or they may have incurred very legitimate expenses in managing her property and finances while she was incapacitated. Either way you were not personally involved when they were managing all this and unfortunately it looks like you will have to take the consequences of that and move on.
Hi yes I do have to agree following all the posts we have received but it make you never thrust any family There we no expenses on the vacant house it was exempt property tax the electric and gas were turned off water was switched off at the mains

The vacant house would still have had to be insured. The cost of this is exorbitant if you are lucky to find an insurance company that will insure it. You may perhaps be a bit naive in terms of the actual cost of all this to your brother and sister in law.

Thank you understood

Hi We know now but when you can’t trust family in these circumstances who can you trust at a time like this with an old women spending her last days in a nursing home

Hi yes I do have to agree following all the posts we have received but it make you never thrust any family There we no expenses on the vacant house it was exempt property tax the electric and gas were turned off water was switched off at the mains
How did your SIL rent out rooms for 8k if there was no electricity, gas or water?

The vacant house would still have had to be insured. The cost of this is exorbitant if you are lucky to find an insurance company that will insure it. You may perhaps be a bit naive in terms of the actual cost of all this to your brother and sister in law.
I paid the insurance

They had them reconnected for the period of the rental 10 months
As far as I know the electricity alone would have cost around €1000.00 to reconnect and possibly a cert from an electrician. Don't know why they'd disconnect the water. In any case i've been following this post and I'd advise you to check out everything you've said regarding the expenses incurred. Apart from your relations being there for the deceased and making sure everything was taken care of, they were the only people there it seems and might indeed have incurred most of the expenses they've said they incurred. It is certainly not an extravagant amount and living in a nursing home costs a hell of a lot more than just the fee, never mind the health insurance plus everything else. You might have to lose your suspicions on this one I feel and in any case there's nothing you can do about it now anyway. Worse still, you've lost your brother and his wife as well. Just leave it now, enjoy whatever inheritance might be there for you both and get on with living. Life's too short.

What are the credit union rules for an" inlaw" to transfer large amounts from an 83 yrs old women (credit union account to a bank account) (and then making withdrawals with an atm card ) in a nursing home unable to care for herself and unable to write The in -law provided signed letter from the old woman to allow the withdrawal it was not witnessed and was hand written by the person making the withdrawal it appears to be a forged signature.
Do the credit union not verify the signature and request a witness to the signature before releasing the money
Ok thanks

Back