Credit cards - Minimum payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Rambo

I have contacted my credit card provider with a view to reducing the minimum monthly repayment. They basically told me there was nothing they could do. I was advised that the minimum payment was non negotiable. I was also advised that if I paid anything less than the monthly minimum payment for a period of four months, the debt would be referred to the ICB and my credit rating would be ruined forever. I was told that whether I made no monthly payment, half the minimum monthly payment or €20 less than the minimum monthly payment, the net effect would be the same. I was advised to pay what I could and wait for it to be referred to the ICB. Does that make sense to anyone? Why treat people who want to repay a debt the same as someone who couldn't be bothered doing so? If anyone has any suggestions or experiences they could relay I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Is the minimum monthly repayment not a condition of your agreement with the card issuer when you received the card? In other words you've signed a contact and this is a specific condition that you must fulfill. You are trying to change a term and condition and they don't agree.

Nothing to do with you John Rambo but I think it's a good thing there are minimum payments and personally I think these are set too low as they lead to people getting into permanent debt which is what the card issuers wanted up to now anyway.

John Rambo - The minimum payment is a set amount you must pay every month(5% of your balance as far as i'm aware). It is part of the Terms and Conditions you agreed to when signing your contract. Similarly when taking out a loan you can't just decide what you are going to pay. If you are struggling with your Credit Card why not look at taking out a personal loan clear the card and cut it up.

ring them up and ask them to accept 3%...A few companies have accepted this figure for 6 months, with the option of a review later. Confirm in writing to them.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back