Credit Card without Chip

Timbuk2

Hello everyone,

I have a credit card, which is a Payzone Prepaid Mastercard. It is designed that it is pre-loaded with money and can be used online, in-store (POS) and in ATMs.

However, unlike most Irish cards it has no chip, just a magnetic strip on the back meaning it needs to be swiped. I couldn't use it in the Tesco Automatic Machines because the keypad beside the monitor only accepted Chip and Pin. I discovered later that you can swipe it beside the screen, which I didn't realise.

However, in the majority of shops I go to they only have keypads that look like this (there is nowhere to swipe the card, just to insert the chip part of the card into)
chippiJPOWELL050107_228x345.jpg

Are most shops even set up for swipe credit cards anymore?

Thanks for reading,
Tim.

I believe they can still type in the CC details. I had a similar issue with my Mastercard from the US, but the store was able to swipe with their machine.

I believe they can still input cc number manually
how do foreign tourists use their cards in Ireland? Surely not all banks in the world have chip and pin

I believe they can still input cc number manually
how do foreign tourists use their cards in Ireland? Surely not all banks in the world have chip and pin

Chip and PIN roll out is not complete, even in Europe, Canada is starting implementation, so is Mexico, so eventually the US will change, or skip to the next generation. We already have RFID cards in the US, they present their own problems with security, but if fraudsters are serious about cracking credit cards, then phishing operations, or large scale data hacking operations are far more efficient than watching over your shoulder to catch the PIN, then trying to skim the card, or RFID scanning your This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language for the info.....

I have and EBS Laser card from the days they offered laser cards which i use from time to time, its not chip and pin but Ive gotten used to stores that will or will not accept cards that are not chip and pin enabled, they have to by law accept non chip and pin so I usually end up in a fight with the store manager until they give in and accept it!

Back