Credit card scammed

Logo

My credit card was fraudulently used by a company called STARS last month. PTSB contacted me by phone and I confirmed that the transactions weren't mine. I was told that documents would be sent to me to initiate a criminal case but I didn't get the forms. Following this I received a letter telling me that since documentation hadn't been returned within 10 working days the temporary refunds were reversed onto my new credit card + reverse quasi fees. I contacted them and then received and returned the documents last week. Payment date for my credit card is tomorrow so I called them again and was told to pay as usual. Is it okay to pay for fraudulent transactions?

If you have the funds, it's easier to pay it and avoid all the messing with charges.

It won't compromise you in any way.

If you don't have the funds, pay the balance due net of the fraudulent transactions.

Brendan

If it were me I would also e-mail them today to confirm the situation to-date and give a reason why you are making the payment either with or without the transactions. Correspondence timed/dated can be useful if there are any further hiccups.

I had a similar problem with a credit card from one of the BIG4 a few years ago. Specifically, there was a debit of £100 for a transaction with an establishment with which I had no dealings.

I paid the account less the disputed item but it took an age for the bank to formally reverse the charge. I actually had to threaten the bank that I would report them to the Gardai as there was obvious fraud. They decided to do something then and it was sorted properly.

Back