Credit Card levy

F

Falcon

I was going to pay for my holiday with my credit card and according to the travel agent there is a 1.3% charge for doing so.

Is this right. Can they do this?

this practice is contrary to the rules of Visa International

From the office of the director of consumer affairs listed above:

ODCA is aware that some retailers charge customers a "surcharge" or a "booking/service fee" for making a payment by credit card. ODCA understands that this practice is contrary to the rules of Visa International, Mastercard etc. Credit cardholders who are charged a surcharge/booking fee etc and therefore pay more than customers who pay by some other form (cash, cheque etc) should raise the matter with their card-issuing institution.

credit card

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I have an MBNA credit card. I rang them and they say they have no control over that kind of thing. Seemingly if you have an AIB credit card, they will refund you.

MBNA

MBNA are members of Visa International so have to obey the rules as everyone else does. You should get on the IFSRA about it.

Travel Agents

Offer to pay them cash - in 1c coins & they'll gladly accept your credit card, as the coin handling charges are far more expensive!

Even better - go elsewhere, and they might change their tune!

why dont you use your debit card (Laser card) instead? The travel agent gets charged 1-2% commission from credit card companies so it is fair enough that they pass it on.

The charge is permissable, VISA policy notwithstanding, but clearly the acceptance of credit cards in Ireland should be clarified.

Consider the pub that takes your CC. The prices charged are not subject to a CC fee. Therefore we can establish that the prices are inclusive of the VISA/Mastercard merchant fee. The fee is ca. 3% (based on volume). Charge cards (AMEX, Diners) charge ca. 6%. The logical extention of the travelshop situation implies you should receive a discount for a cash purchase. But nooo!

It is preferable to me that the lowest price is offered and that CC fees are laid atop this price. Try this argument with the manager at the supermarket.

As an alternative to negotiating a cash price, consider paying for all your purchases with a CC. The banks will be happy to collect the merchant fees (and perhaps start paying a proper current account interest rate), you will have one item charge per month, and you will be getting full value for money at the shops and pubs.

Credit card charge

All the airlines and ferry companies now charge when accepting credit cards. Ticketmaster likewise along with their so called "booking fee". See what Ryanair are now doing - charging a credit card fee for every individual seat booked even if you book say three seats at a time.
Welcome to rip off Ireland. Unless the Credit card companies impose a penalty charge on companies making these charges, nothing will change. Can you see Mick O'Leary of Ryanair complying?

Re: Credit card charge

Hi Falcon

My first reaction would be to tell the travel agent to get stuffed, if you can get what you want elsewhere.

Failing that, consider paying by alternative means perhaps cash, as suggested above. Can't recall the detail, but I think there is a limit on the amount of coins that can be paid over, for a transaction despite them being legal tender so don't think hading them 50,000 1 cent coins is a runner ?

Perhaps, if time permits, get yourself a reward based card such as Amex Blue, Pigsback.com Visa or perhaps Tesco Visa. Each of these cards offer rewards for every transaction you put through them, so you will get something back to help offset the fee you have to pay for this transaction.

As a general rule, I think this policy stinks. It's clear as day, the reason retails accept plastic transactions is because:

* It's safer than handling cash in their stores etc
* It's easier to record & process
* It's easier to lodge to their Bank accounts etc

- As such, they should be told to get stuffed .... and while we are at it, we should also tell the lovely Mr. McCreevey & his colleagues, to get stuffed regarding their tax of €40 per year on each card ! (thats before we consider the fact that we pay VAT on just about every single item we purchase with the cards & clear the debt, with after tax income we have earned etc !!!!) Remember, there are elections on the way ;)

Regards

G>
www.Rpoints.com/newbie

Back