Credit card interest accruing due to dementia and unable to afford POA

ciarano

Hi there,

Dad has a credit card for years always kept in check until he got dementia and since then has been subject to €88 a month in interest paid by direct debit,

i was trying to advise the bank accordingly and pay off the credit card but they will not listen to me as im not the POA,

What has really been really frustrating is the run around they gave me and led us to believe we could fill in a form from the doctor and send back this has never happened and i am aware of GDPR AND L & D so suggested the form be sent directly to my parents as my mam still has her full faculties

My parents are both very ill and they cannot afford a POA.

Is there anything i can do?apart from stopping the direct debit and see will it start communication,

Many thank's

Get a recent credit card statement and post your own cheque for the balance, plus a bit extra to cover extra interest since the statement date, to the credit card company?

Many thanks for the prompt reply, i was hoping to get x amount off the interest deducted due to the dementia and make a final settlement as every penny counts.

It would be simpler to just get it set up on online banking pay it off yourself. Transfer money to their account then pay off the bill

You won't be able to negotiate on your parents behalf as you are not a legal representative of them.

If you are at this stage with your parents you should also be getting all the legal stuff out in place if they become incapacitated.

Also be aware of any tax implications of transferring money around. Also you need to get the whole family involved before you do anything.

If you can set yourself up with a joint account with at least one parent it makes things a lot easier.

Look at it from the banks point of view. Some adults hide their parents money from their siblings. It only comes to light afterwards when the money has vanished.

I think you are referring to an enduring power of attorney when you mention completing a form in your original post. From my understanding this needs to be completed while your parents have legal capacity and their doctor is required to make a declaration to that effect. GPs, I understand, are generally familiar with the process. My understanding is that it is necessary for a solicitor to be involved in the execution of a power of attorney.

I understand that you may not be able to afford a solicitor but it may be money very wells spent. You can shop around for the price of executing a EPOA and it should not be that expensive as the legislation provides for a precise form of wording that can be used. There is also a very high cost of not having an EPOA in place in that any decisions in relation to your parents may be very difficult, if not, impossible to make. I am aware of one circumstance in which the gentlemen has dementia, no longer lives in his house and it not possible to rent it out (or do anything else with it) as no-one can make a decision for him.

I am not a solicitor so I'm more than happy to be corrected if any of the above is incorrect.

...I am aware of one circumstance in which the gentlemen has dementia, no longer lives in his house and it not possible to rent it out (or do anything else with it) as no-one can make a decision for him....

If a person was in the fair deal, it probably is pointless to rent it out anyway. As it takes 80% of income.
Also if you were convert the house to cash, then instead of being limited to 3yrs. The entire value would come under the fair deal for as long as the person is in care.

Back