Credit Card Goverment Stamp Duty - charged many times

M

mrmen

Hi,

Ive had a BOI credit card for 12 years and decided in 22nd February to open a Credit Card account with NIB and to eventually close my BOI credit card.

On 1st April, NIB charged me €30 Government Stamp Duty on my credit card.

As I hadn't closed my BOI credit card account, BOI also charged me €30 Government Stamp Duty.

I sent a letter to BOI stating that I had already paid the 30 euro fee (with a letter from NIB saying I had already paid it), and last week I received a response from BOI saying they wouldnt close (and slapped on ANOTHER €30 Government Stamp Duty charge to my BOI Credit card.... their response: "Unfortunately we are unable to action your request to waive the government stamp duty applicatable to your BOI credit card account on the 1st April annually as the Government Stamp Duty Certificate will only exempt new accounts opened within the chargeable period of April 2010 to April 2011. Your account was opened in 1999. "

Are BOI correct in saying this and charging me Government Stamp Duty on 1st and 29th of April???

Obviously, I shouldn't be paying this fee 3 times.

How can I rectify this situation so that I can only pay this once and get my BOI credit card closed?

What the letter from BoI is saying is that you pay the duty on your old card, and when you open a new account, the new bank don't charge you, because you have a letter saying that you paid it already this year.

But, in the year April 2nd 2010 - 1st April 2011, you had 2 credit card accounts, so you had to pay it twice, on April 1st. I assume this correct, as you have to pay per account.

When you close the account with BoI, you have to pay it for this year (April 2nd 2011 - 1st April 2012).

To avoid paying twice, you should have closed the BoI account and opened the NIB one at the same time, not overlapping by 2 months. I dont know how much of an overlap, if any is allowed.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...es_and_vat/stamp_duty_on_financial_cards.html

Back