credit card fraud & chip and pin

Thanks everyone for your replies I am going to call the Ombudsman and put my case to him regarding the non flagging of fraud on the account as it was the early hours of saturday morning and I am sure staff levels were low.

I am also going to contact the bank and ask them to get the reciepts.

I'll keep you updated as I have no intention of letting it drop!!

I went online and submitted a complaint to the omudsman and it would not submit, so I emailed him..... does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply??

I'm sure we've all had experiences of our CC company ringing us up to query an attempted transaction on our account - my last one was when I had bought some clothes from an American online company, when they tried (legitimately) to take the money from my account in the early hours of the morning (Irish time) my CC company blocked them and rang me about it in the morning. That is what I would expect from an even semi-vigilant company - the fact that they let all those transactions go through on your card (with all those unsuccessful attempts in between), at those times, is amazing. And as someone who has a ridiculously large limit on their card (e12,000 - needless to say not at my request, they kept raising it over the years), it's terrifying! Fight them forever on this - if you feel you're getting nowhere take a deep breath and go on the Joe Duffy Show, or something :)o ), the CC market is so competitive the last thing they'll want is ugly publicity. Best of luck.

I went online and submitted a complaint to the omudsman and it would not submit, so I emailed him..... does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply??

Email? thats no good, it will take forever for them to read the email and pass it on to the right person, then subsequently make some action...ring them

And as someone who has a ridiculously large limit on their card (e12,000 - needless to say not at my request, they kept raising it over the years), .
Get them to drop your limit if you are worried. If you do not need it then it is foolish to have it and increase your risk.

Get them to drop your limit if you are worried. If you do not need it then it is foolish to have it and increase your risk.

Will definitely do that woods, tomorrow! Every time they upped up my limit I used to feel pleased, it was like an acknowledgment that I was doing well.....but then I thought: if I ever spent 12,000 in one month on my credit card it would be a fairly clear indication that I had well and truly mislaid the plot. Will have it lowered to about 1500, that's as much as I'd ever want to spend per month (emergencies only). Will the day ever come that it will be illegal for CC companies to up your limit without your permission?? Thanks.

> Every time they upped up my limit I used to feel pleased, it was like an
> acknowledgment that I was doing well.....but then I thought:

You're right to be suspicious. The only reason they upped the limit is so that you can reach the point where you're no longer able to repay the cash you've borrowed on the card, and you can then be put onto the high-interest loan-facility, where the banks can finally make some money out of you as a credit-card holder.

> Will have it lowered to about 1500, that's as much as I'd ever want to
> spend per month (emergencies only).

A better idea. In fact, it's an even better again to hold a few different credit cards from a few different companies, just in case one card is compromised.

> Will the day ever come that it will be illegal for CC companies to up
> your limit without your permission?

It used to happen by default, but I believe that the banks were rapped over this last year sometime and have quietly stopped upping the limit, at the behest of the regulator.

In fact, it's an even better again to hold a few different credit cards from a few different companies
At €40 p.a. stamp duty a pop not necessarily.

If you don't want you credit limit increased automatically just contact your card provider and ask them not to. I did this years ago and they stopped ever since.

You could always get a temp increase when needed and it's applied seconds after you ask - I've done it from a hotel lobby in Japan and paid my bill straightaway.

I have heard back from the Ombudsman to say to give the bank one last chance - I have written to them again, got a notification to say that they would investigate it and come back to me in 28 days (this is their legal obligation)

That's a start for you anyway Angrylad at least they are acknowledging your correspondence and concerns. One has to wonder though has it anything to do with the amount of Debit Cards they had to re-issue to their Account Holders as mentioned in the weekend newspapers, could it be that their system is not as good as they like to think it is, suppose it would be hard to tell thousands of people who have been having problems with their cards over the last few months that it's their fault and not the Banks!

Hope it works in your favour.

Hi there, I hope that you understand that you are covered for this fraud by the conmsumer credit act 1974, which states that even if you were negligent with your pin number then you can only be made liable to a max of 50.00

you are covered for this fraud by the conmsumer credit act 1974, which states that even if you were negligent with your pin number then you can only be made liable to a max of 50.00
Are you sure this is the case? My understanding was that the terms and conditions of the new chip and pin cards specifically meant that the onus was moved onto the cardholder to prove they hadn't carried out the transaction.
Otherwise, what's to stop someone "disputing" a transaction and getting an LCD TV for €50?

Have not heard back from the 'special' department in the bank of Ireland to date and therefore am going to send all documentation through to the Financial Ombudsman - I can not believe that they have sent out a letter acknowledging my complaint and advised that they would reply within 28 days and then did not bother.... incredible! in saying that I have not paid the money yet and am getting charged interest each month - so it doesnt really surprise me. Watch this space!!!

Incredible - sent off all the correspondence to date to the FSO and arrive home this evening to a reply from the bank of Ireland saying that they are still not going to do anything and this is a sign off letter.

I can't believe I have waited and given them the chance to reply and when I do something I get the letter!!! It's dated the 18/01 but the date stamp is the 22/01 - I think that I will follow up my letter to the FSO and forward them the letter received from them today (pointing out the fact that they predated the letter) It works out at 35 working days to the 18th of January so they are still over. Hopefully the ombudsman will take this into account!!

Regarding the credit limit , I believe with MBNA anyway that the credit limit doesnt stop a payment to go through if it pushes over the limit merely earns you a over the limit fee €20 I think, according to the reps in mbna is that even if the pin is used you are still covered by as it is still fraud and it's their lack in security, although I can imagine it's not so pleasant after the fact.

One simple thing would be if they allow you to disable the ATM function on the card , but they don't.

No, no update - just rang them today and have been advised that it is still in the investigation stage - it could take up to 2 more months by the time the FSO will be back to me. I don't mind as long as it is favourable.

Back