Credit card deduction then refunded

Stitcher

Hi,
On this months bill I had a deduction from an unknown company 'Sidebench.com' for 4.64 and .08 currency fee for USDollar conversion. A week later it was refunded. I am still on hold here with the bank but thought someone here might advise if this is a scam. It seems to be a legitimate site, but how did they get my details to make this deduction?

It's not unusual for fraudsters to try and get small transactions through on a website and then if they do get through, they disappear and go shopping elsewhere for something more valuable. I've certainly seen that happen on a couple of e commerce sites I've been involved in in the past

But this has been refunded?
How do I find out who requested it? Especially if it is a fraudster (still holding here for bank.....)

But this has been refunded?
How do I find out who requested it? Especially if it is a fraudster (still holding here for bank.....)
It's quite possible the merchant triggered this, why I have no idea, but it maybe that they realised that something wasn't right and made the decision to refund to prevent a chargeback (which is far more expensive for the merchant to deal with)

sidebench.com have a website and are in the business of developing mobile apps. If their website is to be believed (no alarms triggered on accessing site via Norton 360 protection, Safari's Magic Lasoo extension, etc.) they are a significant player with a decent client list.

HTH

Bank said to cancel the card so something wasn't right. Good that the company are on the lookout too for fraudsters if that's why they refunded. No other unusual deductions since then (21st April) thank goodness.

How long do fraudsters wait to start using the card for more expensive things do?

@Stitcher are you using TFA, two-factor authentication? This is where a transaction using your card "phones home" to the issuing bank, which sends a verification request to a mobile number on a device you designate. This is on the basis that even if the attempted fraudster 'guesses" or otherwise accesses you card number, it is unlikely they'll also guess your device mobile number.

It's quite possible the merchant triggered this, why I have no idea, but it maybe that they realised that something wasn't right and made the decision to refund to prevent a chargeback (which is far more expensive for the merchant to deal with)
This happens quite a bit. In a previous online business, we'd do it anytime the order looked suspect and we couldn't contact the customer. Even without physical products, chargebacks incur fees even if you don't dispute them and if you get multiple you can have your whole account locked.

@ryaner . Good to know that.

@Peanuts . I don't use my CC often, sometimes over the phone and i have it linked with PayPal. There is TFA from way back but I'm not asked for it often so must check that out. My CC is with a bank I only do CC with, I used to bank with them but not anymore. Is there any merit moving CC accounts? I always pay every month.

A retailer can see information about a card that will give hints on validity.

I can see what country (and city) the customer is in, I can see the country and bank the card was issued in and then I can see the address on the order.

If a customer is ordering from Galway and spending €3 and the card is from Canada, it raises a flag

A bank will charge a retailer €15-€20 for a successful chargeback, so a proactive retailer will refund / void these orders

So, my credit card was cancelled and I have a new one now, not used it yet. But I see that two of my regular payments have gone through since via PayPal (I got email notificationto say so). Is that normal? Should they not have been rejected ?

So, my credit card was cancelled and I have a new one now, not used it yet. But I see that two of my regular payments have gone through since via PayPal (I got email notificationto say so). Is that normal? Should they not have been rejected ?
Not necessarily.
It's still the same account, just a new card number and they probably see PayPal as secure.

Btw, I had another on Sunday. Order from Poland, card in Canada, amount under the usual two factor limit of €50

Back