Creative Windows - Alu Clad sliding sash

cork boy

Hi

I am looking at Wood alu-clad sliding sash windows.

Has anyone Kolbe & Kolbe windows (supplied by Creative Windows in Kilkenny).

What is the quality like? How do they compare to say Marvin?

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Cork Boy

Here,s a site that may help you to chose the right type of window for your situation, and also has some comparison info ect.

[broken link removed]

sabre

Here,s a site that may help you to chose the right type of window for your situation, and also has some comparison info ect.

[broken link removed]

sabre

Hi Sabre I had a read of that site and see it says

There are many wood window manufacturers that produce windows that will last 20, 30, 40 years if they are well maintained.

If Iroko is used to make your windows they could last 100 years, I can't help but wonder why the author didn't mention that fact since it's well documented.

Sabre I'm sure you as a joiner of long standing would agree with me here that if Iroko is used in windows and well maintained (painted every 5 to 7 years) they would last a 100 years.

Hi Sabre I had a read of that site and see it says

If Iroko is used to make your windows they could last 100 years, I can't help but wonder why the author didn't mention that fact since it's well documented.

Sabre I'm sure you as a joiner of long standing would agree with me here that if Iroko is used in windows and well maintained (painted every 5 to 7 years) they would last a 100 years.

The op has expressed an interest in Alu Clad windows presumably because of the low maintainence aspect related to Clad windows. Dismissing them as an option for no reason , and no explanation is confusing.

sabre

Sorry sabre but you posted a link to a site with incomplete information and I thought it needed to be brought out.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Please elaborate

sabre

As you are aware if windows are made from Iroko (and properly maintained) they will last up to and exceed 100 years of life.

the site you posted only said they would last 30 to 40 years and did not give proper info, what it said was

There are many wood window manufacturers that produce windows that will last 20, 30, 40 years if they are well maintained.

this would to my mind give a very false impression that PVC and wood have the same life expectancy which is totally untrue as you well know.

As you are aware if windows are made from Iroko (and properly maintained) they will last up to and exceed 100 years of life.

Can you supply facts for that , or is that just your assumption. Thankyou.

the site you posted only said they would last 30 to 40 years and did not give proper info, what it said was

As I do not have access to the data which these figures are based on, I suspect that they are average lifespan, based on manufacturers supplied information. Similar to the National Association of Homebuilders Stats ( USA) methods posted below.

this would to my mind give a very false impression that PVC and wood have the same life expectancy which is totally untrue as you well know

I have not inferred anything of the sort. I have supplied links to sites that may clarify things for the op.

Average life expectancies of house components.

sabre
WndowsLife in years

Here is the pdf link to the life expectancy of house components, page 18 has the stats on window life for wood, aluminium, and pvc.

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]

sabre

Here is an interesting comparative survey done on windows by the school of engineering in Edinburgh. By all accounts your Alu Clad windows fair very well. Pay particular attention to table 2 page 10, where the esimated service life of Aluminium, Pvc, Timber and Alu Clad windows are assessed. It seems Alu Clad comes out tops, according to these experts.

[broken link removed]

sabre

Here is the pdf link to the life expectancy of house components, page 18 has the stats on window life for wood, aluminium, and pvc.

[broken link removed]

sabre

25. WINDOWS, SKYLIGHTS, & GLASS
Glass & Glazing Materials
Window Glazing 10+
Windows
Aluminum/Aluminus Clad 15-20
Wood 30+ Some parts of the window may have to be replaced, so lifespan
may vary.

Source: Polygal, Gallina USA, LLC, Allied Window

Here is an interesting comparative survey done on windows by the school of engineering in Edinburgh. By all accounts your Alu Clad windows fair very well. Pay particular attention to table 2 page 10, where the esimated service life of Aluminium, Pvc, Timber and Alu Clad windows are assessed. It seems Alu Clad comes out tops, according to these experts.

[broken link removed]

sabre

LIFE CYCLE OF WINDOW MATERIALS - A COMPARATIVE ASSESSMENT

A survey analysis shows that aluminium and timber windows can easily last more

than 40 years. Al-clad timber being new on the market, is expected to have a
service life well over 40 years. PVC windows, in most cases, are reported to have
an optimum service life of 25 years.

From the same document

•​
All frame materials deteriorate to various degrees by environmental impacts. PVC is sensitive towards heat and UV radiation. Timber if not frequently treated, can easily be affected by environment. Aluminium, if not protected well by coatings, gets damaged under corrosive conditions especially in coastal and industrial areas. Al-clad frames are unlikely to deteriorate due to their protective coatings and appear to be the best choice from this point of view.

Regarding the lifespan of Iroko windows I read somewhere that Iroko lasts 100 years if properly looked after I can't find that info now.​

Another point is in the reports cited, timber window are defined as being pine, cedar or redwood.

In this case it is no wonder Alu-clad have a longer lifetime, paper windows would do just as good.

My parents have hardwood windows for the last 35 years, glazing has been replaces twice due to break down of double glazing, no sign of any aging on the timber.

While this debate has gone way off topic, I'm sorry OP I have no experience of Creative windows, can't help there, I would favour well made hardwood windows over PVC, aluminium or alu-clad.

From the same document

Regarding the lifespan of Iroko windows I read somewhere that Iroko lasts 100 years if properly looked after I can't find that info now.
[/left]

You,ve read the document correctly. Both the pros and cons of different window materials. I have not attempted to show a bias towards any, as I think the factual information gives the op a better opportunity to arrive at an option that suits his personal requirements , and not mine.

It seems strange that you can find no information related to lifetime expectancy of Iroko, yet you have made many references to 100 years plus. When did you read that Iroko would last 100 years plus, and why would it. If it has that type of life expectancy , would it not be the No 1 marketing point of timber window manufacturers. I,d be very interested to see that document, I hope you can find it, thanks.

sabre

Its funny, if you do a search on durability of iroko windows, this discussion pops up about Creative windows!

A deeper search finds this post where specifically, the expectation is that Iroko windows will last 100 years:

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2201

Not sure if you are trying to obtain of the shelf - I suggest you get ones made in iroko. I have some DG ones I designed in fairly exposed wet climate; perfect after 15 years and I expect them to last for a 100.

Timber durability is like any of our bodies, expectancy has a lot to do with exposure, protection, maintenance & use. If you look after it, it will last longer.

Its funny, if you do a search on durability of iroko windows, this discussion pops up about Creative windows!

A deeper search finds this post where specifically, the expectation is that Iroko windows will last 100 years:

http://www.greenbuildingforum.co.uk/newforum/comments.php?DiscussionID=2201

Not sure if you are trying to obtain of the shelf - I suggest you get ones made in iroko. I have some DG ones I designed in fairly exposed wet climate; perfect after 15 years and I expect them to last for a 100.

Timber durability is like any of our bodies, expectancy has a lot to do with exposure, protection, maintenance & use. If you look after it, it will last longer.

I went through the thread, but I can only find some ones expectation , but no document or factual material about its life expectancy in window manufacture. If you can find it, please post it, thanks.

sabre

Back