Craig Barrett - Ripped off..

L

legend99

Anyone else hear anything about the story of Craig Barrett (Boss of Intel)being in Dublin and going for a private meal in Peploes Restaurant where he was charged 150 euro for a meal and a glass of wine or something, which was 200 bucks so he complained and the restaurant manager told him what to do with himself and Barrett mentioned it in an interview on US telly.

fair play to the guy who told him what to do, who I'm sure has really made a positive impact on the direct boss fo 4/5000 people in Kildare and who probably sustains thousands more jobs indirectly.....

Re: carig Barrett - Ripped off..

Why did he describe it as being ripped off? Peploes is expensive. But presumably he knew that before he sat down. Or else he would have discovered it when they gave him the menu? That would have been the time to protest, or better still, to leave.

If the meal was bad, he was right to complain, but I don't see the point in complaining about the prices.

I don't think that high prices are themselves a rip-off. A rip-off is where you pay more than the price on display. I think that the word is bandied about too much.

Brendan

Brendan is correct but even in Dubin could a meal for 1(?) cost €150. Has anyone dined in this establishement and if so what were the prices? I once stayed in Ashford Castle which in my opinion anyway is grossly overrated. Dinner (2000) was £40+ service charge, which was ok. Wine ran from approx £25 to over £1000 a bottle. But nobody made you buy it.

A rip-off is where you pay more than the price on display.

So we should come up with an alternative to rip-off Ireland?

Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Seriously over-priced Ireland.

or how about...

stick-the-prices-up-when-there's-something-on Ireland.

:)

Or ...

Howabout ... Can't-be-bothered-to-shop-around-but-whinge-anyway Ireland :)

"Too lazy to shop around Ireland"?

I wonder were there no prices on the menu? I've seen this before. In all fairness, alarm bells should have been ringing at that point !

Jane

I wonder where there no prices on the menu? I've seen this before.

For what it's worth it's [broken link removed] for menus to omit price details.

My reason in adding this post was really because of who it happened to, rather than the detail of the incident itself.

I'm sure many people in the IDA would like to strangle the people responsible in the restaurant for telling Craig Barrett what to do with his complaint.

Re: .

Is there any independent corroboration for this story as I can't find any record of it online at least?

I read the story in the newspaper. Craig Barret was with his wife and they paid 200 notes for a meal in Peploes. He did not have an altercation with the manager as far as I recall, but he did mention the price of the meal in a subsequent interview.
Peploes manager/owner then came back and in a subsequent article mentioned a large range of prices for normal stuff (soup, sandwiches, chowders etc.) and wine (going from 4 euro a glass up to hundreds 'n' thousands).

The lunchtime prices seemed quite o.k. to me - if I remember the article I'll post it here.

That synopsis certainly differs from the one that was posted to start this topic off.

very high prices

There were two people dining, husband and wife.

They paid the equivalent of 200 dollars.

This suggests 150 euro.

They did not have a bottle of wine, the wife had a glass. She also had a starter, salad and main course. Didn't say what he had.

All from a Sunday Indo article.

Protocol let's get the story straight. He had a glass of wine. Barbara had a mineral water.

Post crossed.

Marion :hat

Re: very high prices

I don't get the problem here ...

Assuming that a restaurant displays its pricing properly, it's entitled to charge whatever its market will pay. If this guy didn't want to pay a fortune, why didn't he go somewhere else? I'm sure there are expensive (and cheaper) restaurants in America too - this is hardly an Irish phenomenon. If he was daft enough not to notice the prices, then tough luck - it's happened to the best of us.

It's not up to the restaurant to grovel on behalf of the IDA/the people of Ireland/whoever to a rich American businessman for chosing to locate his business here by apologising for their prices. I'm sure enough concessions and grants have been handed out to date, but even so, if anything it would be up to the IDA to treat this guy to lunch.

Rebecca

Re: very high prices

Protocol let's get the story straight.

Thanks for the link Marion - the one I posted earlier just gave a two line summary with no real detail.

Whatever about the substantive issue the comments attributed to the owner of the restaurant in question certainly seem to lack the diplomacy that one might expect from an upmarket joint:

But the owner of the restaurant has angrily hit backsaying that Mr Barrett should think about the tax breaks his company has enjoyed in Ireland.

"He can't come in here with his big swinging dick from America and say we are too expensive," said Barry Canny of Peploe's

:eek

What exactly have tax breaks got to do with a person in a restaurant saying they felt the price was too much???

this guy in the restaurant sounds like a dick himself.

Re: ..

He can't come in here with his big swinging dick from America

How exactly did they know that? :p

Back