Cracks in marble tiles

Des

We are just over a year in our house, and we have noticed the marble tiles on the kitchen extension are cracked. The crack is one foot from the back wall, and runs across the whole back wall.

We have heard a cracking noise which we didnt identify, which probably was the tiles. Have heard nothing in a while.

Has anyone any experience of this ?

Should i replace the tiles, or fill the cracks with grout.

Is there any other checks i should do to ensure there isnt anything more serious ?

Thanks

If its a new house check with builder also check homebond sites re builders responsibilities.

i presume you are talking about floor tiles.
it sounds like what has happened is that your extensions foundations have settled. i thing its fairly unavoidable with extensions. leave it a while and then try and replace the broken tiles. maybe using a flexible adhesive might prevent it happening again, although once its settled, that should be the end of it.

it sounds like what has happened is that your extensions foundations have settled. i thing its fairly unavoidable with extensions.
You must be joking... It is fortunately avoidable if the foundation have been calculated correctly, poured correctly with correctly mixed concrete, if hardcore has been compacted (assuming ground supported floor) and the tickness of the concrete floor is correct (150mm min still assuming supported concrte floor), basically if the job has been done correctly.
It simply shows poor craftmanship from a rogue builder.

If you bought this house new from a builder - Don't do anything yourself. You must get homebond involved incase this isn't the end of it. There may be further movement.

What about this happening in the utility room (middle of the house)? House is about 5 years old now and I noticed the cracking(hairline) in the floor tiles when we moved in ( 18 months ago). Every builder we have had in so far told us not to worry about it, but I think it has actually worsened in the last 3 months - that is, the crack has gotten longer.

I am going to try and get my architect who snagged the house to check it out, I have had a good look around, the foundation is solid and goes down to a reasonable depth. There are no cracks anywhere else in walls etc, which would point to a major fault.

Cracking seems to have stopped, will see what architect says

Des, I figured out where my cracks are likely coming from. It looks like there is hotwater pipe beneath them going to/from the boiler. This pipe must be badly insualted and will have cracked the tiles. Any radiator near your cracking ?

I had a problem in first floor (concrete) in my en-suite but a row of the tiles moved. House is about 8 years old. It transpired (our builder lives 5 minutes away) according to him that he has a notion that the tiler used wall adhesive on a section of the floor. Well, if figures cause this guy does a good job but suffers from depression and just our luck that he had a bout of it just before finishing the job!!! But over the years, and in the hot weather, I noticed a hairline crack near our sliding door in the kitchen (not very big) and near the dishwasher. We had an excellent tiler in who is going to do the repair work. He says it is a common enough occurrence. Lucky, though I don't have marble tiles - just run of the mill outdoor/indoor ones (terracotta) in the kitchen. That is why I hate tiles and swore after the last house I would not get them again, but there you go!!! opinions sway and I lost!!!! Anway, like Des no serious cracks in walls and ceilings and if that hasn't happened then all is well. It takes new houses about 10 years to settle - I think we are now in the throws of it and let's face it if even one tile is not put down properly, it will have a knock on effect. I have bought tiles to replace those in en-suite. Still waiting for the job to be done but at least, if there is any more damage, it will definitely happen now in this heat!! Velux window attracting the heat of the sun doesn't help either!!!! Good luck

Back