Crackdown on Prov License Drivers - Will it stick?

Maybe we just drink at home and become an even more isolated community than we are already becoming?

a few more months waiting to pass their driving test (if they have any interest in doing so) won't cause the destruction of rural communities

That makes perfect sense to me, whats the point of an inebriated fully licensed driver in the car with someone on a learners permit?

What's the point in having a totally sober person with someone on a learner's permit? - How are they going to stop an accident - pull the hand brake? Most cars aren't duel control.

Of course, not having an experienced driver present = €€€s for the government.

Truthseeker let me make this a bit more real for you - people in rural areas want to go for a pint once in a while. They want to be responsible so instead of the bad old days of bringing their car they have their partner bring them instead and then ask their partner to collect them later on. So now in this pious new world of ours how do you expect this responsible couple to manage? Maybe we just drink at home and become an even more isolated community than we are already becoming?

Oh, I don't know, maybe the partner in this scenario could pass her driving test perhaps? :rolleyes:

So now in this pious new world of ours how do you expect this responsible couple to manage? Maybe we just drink at home and become an even more isolated community than we are already becoming?

I expect you to have a soft drink in the pub or use whatever alternative you would use if you didnt have a partner to collect you from the pub.

What's the point in having a totally sober person with someone on a learner's permit? - How are they going to stop an accident - pull the hand brake? Most cars aren't duel control.

Of course, not having an experienced driver present = €€€s for the government.

They are not supposed to be present to stop an accident but to act as a driving instructor to a learner.
How can they instruct at all if they are drunk and their own reasoning skills are affected?

a few more months waiting to pass their driving test (if they have any interest in doing so) won't cause the destruction of rural communities

Fair enough woodseb. I'll tell ye what's at the nub of this for me - why are learner drivers being painted as the problem on our roads? What about all license carrying 18-19 year olds with souped up micras or worse even more powerful cars? Where are the stats that paint learner drivers as being the major culprits on the road? Maybe this is a step in the right direction but as far as I can see it is very unfair and very draconian.

I passed my test only a few days ago so thankfully the new enforcements don't really apply to me. However this was my second time taking the test. I failed last year when my car cut out while I was sitting in traffic. I was about to take off and the car cut out. I failed my test because of this because what if the person behind me had taken off and then ran into me???? Isn't this their problem??? They shouldn't take off until they have seen me go?
Anyway my point is as I failed my test on this reason am I a bad driver? I don't think so. How many people can honestly say they have never cut out. I only had 3 other ticks on the sheet. Incidentally had 5 when I passed the other day so technically was a better driver when I did the test first time around.

In response to the person who questioned changing the radio station while driving. Everybody does this!!! Will we just take radios out of cars?

Fair enough woodseb. I'll tell ye what's at the nub of this for me - why are learner drivers being painted as the problem on our roads? What about all license carrying 18-19 year olds with souped up micras or worse even more powerful cars? Where are the stats that paint learner drivers as being the major culprits on the road? Maybe this is a step in the right direction but as far as I can see it is very unfair and very draconian.

there are measures on the way to restrict drivers in their first couple of years after the tests.....
i don't know the stats of how many learner drivers are responsible for crashes but nothing can get away from the fact that its crazy to be allowed unaccompanied on the road without having any checks and balances

maybe if these boy racers needed their parents sitting beside them all the time before their test they might be better drivers

What difference does it make if the stats prove learner drivers are the major culprits on the road or not?
The new measures being introduced are in the interests of road safety - surely that can only be a good thing?

I was about to take off and the car cut out. I failed my test because of this because what if the person behind me had taken off and then ran into me???? Isn't this their problem??? They shouldn't take off until they have seen me go?

If the car cut out, you probably weren't in full control of the vehicle.

When I was learning to drive, I was also told never to rely on what others were doing. To assume that they are wrong, or not looking, or they have accidently left their indicator on etc. If you're relying on other people 'not taking off until they have seen you go' - then maybe you shouldn't have passed your test the second time.

Originally Posted by woodseb http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=511947#post511947

45 weeks is not a few months, and I am sure everyone awaiting a test does have an interest in passing it. Not everyone has 'abused' the system. When the people who have not applied , now start to apply, how are they going to reduce the waiting time, when they have not done so so far ??

What difference does it make if the stats prove learner drivers are the major culprits on the road or not?
The new measures being introduced are in the interests of road safety - surely that can only be a good thing?

If we took all the males off the road it would improve road safety. If we only allowed driving during daylight hours it would improve road safety.

IMHO these suggestions are as ridiculous as the suggestion that 400,000 drivers are taken off the roads 'overnight.'

But people currently on second provisional license are the most impacted as they need to be accompanied at all time...
IMO, it was daft to allow driver in the first place holding a second pro. license not to have to be accompanied.
That is now being corrected BUT may be with an unrealistic time frame.

This is the bit that's killing (I'm obviously on my second provisional!).
I thought for the last year that I was within the law driving alone; I've recently moved house 30 miles from nearest family to be closer to work. Now from Monday, with about 72 huors notice, I will be breaking the law, and without any choice - there is no other way to get my son to school or myself to work (other than what would be a 10 mile round-trip in the morning and closer to 20 in the evening to collect from minder, either by foot or bike on lethal narrow back-roads). Actually there is, I could spend 2 hours each way on public transport - it would only mean a 25 mile round trip on CIE to get from home to the school which is 5 miles away, would mean a 7am setout from home to be in school by 8.50 - maybe I could then walk the other 6 miles back from the school to work... to be there by 9... )

I have no option but to drive illegally, there has been no word from the test centre on when my test might be, and I note that [broken link removed] is after crashing this morning...

Not if they are effectively making 400K people law breakers overnight it's not - where's the fairness in that? Sure us license holders can all pious and take the moral high ground but how a bit of realism for those 400K not in our fortunate position?

I suppose I was looking at it more from the driver's position. A driver on a provisional (without L plates) could be stopped and potentially maybe fined for 1. Driving unaccompanied and 2. Not having L plates displayed?

Without L plates displayed, will there simply have to be loads of checkpoints, stopping every vehicle, to identify these drivers?

I don't know how this is going to work.

I would add that I don't feel much sympathy for those who are on their nth provisional and keep failing or deliberately missing tests - bascially, you obviously have a problem with driving so shouldn't be on the road anyway. There are plenty of these people around.

If this now means you can't get to work - tough.

--"If this now means you cant get to work - tough"
- - I'd like you to say that face to face with somebody with dependants who stands to loose thier job, and cant make the mortgage payment the next time theres a hike - its very easy to judge in this faceless website - shame!

Leghorn, if my break lights were on then yes I would assume that the person behind me would not take off. If they do it's their problem as they are not watching the road in front of them.

As for not being in full control of the car, I would imagine most drivers have cut out at some point. Are we all bad drivers? No I don't think so.

Back to my original point, just because you fail your test does not necessarily mean you are a bad driver. Yes in probably the majority of cases it does but not always!! Incidentally I reapplied straight after my first test and was waiting 11 months!!!!

i'm on a full license but did drive on a provisional for a number of years having failed 1 test and waiting for a resit and I believe this is a joke BUT it wont be enforced, the previous law was just the same bar the 1000 euro fine and having been stopped on a couple of occassions by d guards they never asked why i did not have a full time driver in the car with me. sorry to go a bit off topic but I think this is absolute master spin by berties well paid spin doctors, d same day bertie gets a whopping undeserved payrise d whole country is up in arms about this license...coincidence...i think not my friends...noel dempsey was found to have made a huge mistake re shannon did not resign....cowen looks like he's going to raise taxes in a tough budget... all in all a pitiful week for d government but never mind all that we are too angry over this new crackdown to pay attention to what is happening in the background...gross incompetence by d government who reward themseleves with pay raises....

Back