COYBIG

Betsy Og

Real business starts tonight, to say we're "shook" coming into it would be an understatement, but sure hope springs eternal. Kenny is due a bit of luck, let it be tonight !!!

0-0 would be a good result but if we lose, we really need that consolation goal for morale purposes.

Hammers man (ex) Cullen to net - runs to camera and screams - ARE YOU WATCHING RICE YOU ....silly fellow

I think that's game over, team played well but away against a decent team inexperienced keeper is costing us.

The bad news is that they lost but the good news is that they scored .....twice. Now for that glass of wine..

OK! We lost. But, with the players available to us for the game at least we showed up and threatened occasionally. It's likely we won't qualify for the finals, but other teams won't like playing us. We're playing some good football and stringing a few passes together while working the ball from goal line into the opponent's red zone.

I’ve rarely seen a more nervous goalkeeper whose positioning all night was questionable and quite frankly horrendous for the second and game changing goal.
I think that unfortunately this must prey on his mind prior to Saturday’s game against a much improved Luxembourg team and I think he’ll be replaced.
But yes the team played well and were somewhat unfortunate.

It was a massive step up for Travers and unfortunately he didn't look comfortable at all. I was also a bit disappointed once again in Doherty (he has yet to really find form for Ireland). However the rest of the team played well and I thought the three in midfield were really good. How nice it was to see our CBs pass to our CMs who were able to then move it around to initiate an attack. It's not some new concept but in an Ireland match it is not something we're accustomed to seeing!

Thought we just about deserved a draw, enjoyed the game. Keeper looked out of his depth, BUT I'd put him back up on the horse - fair chance of a clean sheet vs Luxembourg, and that should clean the slate for when he might come in again in the future. I'd just been giving out about Browne giving away the ball, when he started and finished the move.:oops::D

Lets hope the boys in green continue with another good performance this evening and give Steven Kenny his first win...

Oh dear... we lost to the underdogs and it wasn't like we even dominated the game and their keeper was MOTM :(

I have a feeling that we wont even qualify . Are we even going to win a game ?.
I really thought after seeing the match against Serbia that I was seeing the makings of a decent team but on tonight"s performance I have this awful feeling.....

Among the positives I take out of last night's international defeat to the might of Luxembourg is Munster's defeat to Leinster wasn't so bad after all. Furthermore, I bet we'll still refer to our national soccer team as Elite Athletes.

Last edited:
How nice it was to see our CBs pass to our CMs who were able to then move it around to initiate an attack. It's not some new concept but in an Ireland match it is not something we're accustomed to seeing!
Well that didn't last long did it! I guess it shows with young lads that you're going to have inconsistency at this level. The midfield 3 were pretty anonymous on Saturday. It shows how bare our squad is that we had no decent alternative. Hendrick should really have been first choice over these three so he needs to take a good look at himself to ask why he wasn't (I don't blame the manager, I expect far more from Hendrick than he has ever delivered in an Irish jersey). I really hope for Kennys sake that we get a reaction against Qatar but part of me is worried we could lose that as well. As for the World Cup, we can forget about that, best we can hope now is that we see signs of improvement as the campaign progresses and that a few of the younger lads gain experience and start to show they are good enough.

Oh dear..... that was excruciating. Glad he put in Bazunu or we could have been tanked entirely - he had lots to do.

I'm inclined to leave Kenny there for the time being, we're holed below the water line, the campaign is gone, who'd take it now...... and there's the 1% chance he'll eventually turn it around, now the pressure is (basically) off. So either he recuperates himself or its a stone wall sacking, but there probably won't be much hand wringing required at the end of this campaign. Still hoping he'll emerge, but the players need to deliver too, ok they don't have too much but we need it all.

Back