coving advice

RobAMerc

Hi all,

Have to do some coving in 3 rooms.
Last time I did it I swore I wouldn't use the mix up adhesive as it is dirty and awkward and this time I am hoping to not have to do too much of a re-decoration on 2 rooms at least - so has anyone successfully used something like "no more nails" to put plaster coving up?

Am I kidding myself that I won't need to completely redec the rooms once I have it up?

Thanks
Rob

I'm sure NoMoreNails would do but you can buy ready mixed compound. Get your cuts right, mark the angles on the ceiling, cut the mitres with a fine-tooth saw and you should have no mess. Proving that you put enough ...... not too much adhesive on the moulding.

You can buy as mentioned pre-mixed tubs in the likes of woodies. They are fairly cheap. It not messy at all, did 2 rooms myself last week. Take your time and you should be fine, you wont need to redecorate the rooms, if your worried about spillage, then just sheet out the room as if you were painting it.

that's good info guys

does the premix stuff tack fairly quickly ?
I don't want to have to knock in some pins to hold up the coving as I'd then need to fill and paint the holes.

thanks again

If you have 3m lengths, after you put the coving in situ, you've got a minute or so to play around. If you don't use a couple of pins (these can be removed after 10 mins or so), you need to know what you are doing. These pinholes will be almost invisible. The ready mixed gear reacts with the air, that's what sends it off. A layer of polythene is on top of the adhesive ...... to stop this in the can.

Get the coving fresh off the supplier eg Dublin Plaster Supplies on Parnell st. That way it's still flexible and can bend (a little) to your ceiling.

Get a tub of readymixed jointfiller from Buckleys or a builders supplier and only put it on the edges of the coving. It's a good idea to use nails to hold in place as with the joint filler it's easy to fill them in and sand. Use the jointfiller to overfill any joins and then sand back. We found cutting the mid room joins square worked better than mitring them. Made our life alot easier.

Alternatively pay someone to do it - they charge buttons for it - e 180 to e200 per room! Only found that out after the fact.

Back