Covid social welfare payment / dis incentive to return to work

cmalone

Around 200,000 People have been better off on the Social welfare covid pandemic payment - 350 euro - than when they were working.

How will employers make work attractive / incentivise as more people are expected to return to work. ...

They don't have to, if you refuse to return to work after the restrictions have been lifted then the intent is for the payments to stop and I presume it means you will have deemed to have resigned.

no doubt there will be issues, especially if employers are lax and appropriate measures are not in place.

Around 200,000 People have been better off on the Social welfare covid pandemic payment - 350 euro - than when they were working.

How will employers make work attractive / incentivise as more people are expected to return to work. ...

When workers were applying for Covid payment and a a payment was required to keep people ticking over.Would it have been hugely difficult for the welfare/government to ask for payslip or check earnings (no P60 anymore) and install a system where Covid payment did not exceed the persons wages.
I know of a number of people who are happy to keep receiving the payment because it is more than they were getting or a little less but they dont have to travel or go to work.

Reactions: jim
Some of my student nieces / nephews and many of their friends, who had part time jobs, maybe taking home €100 weekly or thereabouts are ecstatic with their €350 weekly PUP payments.

It beggars belief that this can happen.

Some of my student nieces / nephews and many of their friends, who had part time jobs, maybe taking home €100 weekly or thereabouts are ecstatic with their €350 weekly PUP payments.

It beggars belief that this can happen.

Will the surpluses they receiving have to be paid back at a later date?

Increase wages perhaps?

I know someone who left work (supermarket - so plenty of work available) and applied for and received the COVID-19 PUP. They will get more on COVID-19 payment. I have no issue with anyone genuinely and legitimately getting the full payment (as in full-time workers who are currently unable to work from home) but I think something needs to be changed with part-time/students getting the full payment and someone leaving their job to get the COVID payment should be required to repay the full amount.

And when it comes to Oct/Nov, and the Revenue Comm are supposed to come looking to tax those who got the payment, I'd bet good money the Govt will tell them to let this one go

It beggars belief, I doubt, revenue will look too kindly on them when they eventually return.

I don't see anything about payments ending on that link. It was only confirmed a few days ago that payments will continue until August.

The Opposition Parties are lining up that this payment stay in place for the medium term. The far left want it to become the new dole amount.
It won't be ending in June

Article to cut in June was in ‘Sunday Times’ print / online edition Yesterday.

Stephen O’Brien, Mark Tighe and John Mooney. Check on their Twitter accounts and you might see if you haven’t a subscription.

Seems that the proposal is to cut payment only for those who were receiving less than the 350 before the pandemic. It will be interesting to see how they propose to calculate this, and what kind of administrative work will be created to assess individual claims.

Back