Covid payment holiday - bad credit report

Mermaidhair

My Credit union gave me a 6 month payment holiday back when I was on PUP in 2020. I was told interest would still accrue on the loan and the term would be extended by 6 months. I started back the payments on the date agreed. But I have since been refused credit and now I find out the 6 months were reported to the CCR and the account has been showing up in arrears since then. The CU say this is the standard practice and it was my responsibility to get in touch after the payment holiday and pay up the arrears. This has to be a mistake? Can anyone offer some advice please?

Last edited:
I'm afraid it may not be a mistake , Even though a payment break was agreed , arrears or missed payments have to be documented on your CCR report on loans over a certain amount . I'm assuming you started to make full repayments after the 6 month break but you seem to be saying arrears are still outstanding and this is the issue.

I'm not sure if Agreed payment breaks are documented on credit reports but arrears and missed payments are.

They are completely in the wrong. They should not have reported any missed payments (as you had agreed a payment break) and there should be no impact to your credit record. How many people out there are affected like this. The below link talks about mortgages but it also applies to loans. Make a official request to get your credit record corrected. Make sure that the credit refusal is also removed from the record as it was made on incorrect information

As I mentioned I was un sure how payment breaks are reported so thank you for clarification, my reading of the link suggests they shouldn't be but I also took from the info that a lender can infer from loan balance such a payment Break existed without one being specifically mentioned. I'm not entirely sure however why arrears are showing if they are?

It's not clear if OP has seen the credit report or if they were just told the payment Break was reported along with Arrears if they have not requested one perhaps it might be wise to request one just to verify what it actually says or doesn't say. If as OP says, loan was extended how or is that reported, I guess is another question.

Back