COVID-19 package holiday cancellation options

Sarn, You've paid €150 up front. If you claim through your insurance (who may not wish to pay up either) you'll probably be stuck with and excess of c. €120.00.

If the travel company won't play a fair game with you I'd just suffer the loss and never use them again.

On what grounds? What terms of the contract have been breached at this point?
If they don't refund the deposit? I understood what was being said overall.
Why do you pick one line from a long post just to "get at" someone. Why not contribute something positive instead of constantly waiting in the long grass to pick someone up on what they say.

Cancelling card doesn’t always work. They can still charge your account. Not sure how but I had a monthly charge that I tried to cancel with the vender but couldn’t. So I cancelled my card. Got email saying I need to update info. I replied I wanted to cancel the service and two weeks later the charge appeared on my account. So they can find a way?

Thanks all. We confirmed with the agent that no further money would be taken if we cancelled, so went ahead and requested that the trip be cancelled. I did cite unavoidable and extraordinary circumstances and cancellation of multiple flights across Europe as the reason. We can afford to lose the deposit.

I will keep an eye on the situation at the end of May to see if everything would have been cancelled and see if we can have the deposit used for another holiday in the future. I can’t see them losing any money on our trip as Aer Lingus was offering vouchers up until the end of May, that they can likely add to their corporate account. It’s a shame that they couldn’t have delayed the final payment for a few weeks.

If they don't refund the deposit? I understood what was being said overall.

I understood it related to the deposit. It been pointed out many time on these and previous threads the you have no entitlement to a refund of a deposit if you change your mind.

Why do you pick one line from a long post just to "get at" someone.

How would you suggest I should ask on what basis they were advising taking a Small Claims action?

This is what I got from my Spanish Hotel where I had booked a stay next month.

"We would like to inform you that according to rate details, this reservation has a full penalty charge in case of cancellation, amendment or no show. However due to the exceptional situation in which we find ourselves, Meliá Hotels International would like to offer to our guests who have booked before March 2, 2020 for a stay between March 16, 2020 until May 31, 2020, the possibility of postponing your reservation choosing a date or leaving your booking on hold; This date must be up to March 26, 2021 at the reserved hotel and under the same terms and conditions of your initial reservation or agreeing to pay a possible difference in rate without any management fee."

My problem with this is

I would like a full refund but none is on offer.
I do not want a postponement of my holiday.
The hotel is closed so I cannot stay there even if I wanted to travel.
The hotel chain may not survive.
They are offering postponement stays up to end of March 2021.....not even for the anniversary of my stay....mid April.
If I do postpone......I will have to pay the difference in cost of my stay....I have no control over what this might be.

My question. If the hotel is closed for my stay next month.....they are the ones breaking the contract, not me..........can I claim a refund on this basis?

I booked and paid up front for a hotel stay in Spain. circa €450

The hotel is now closed and are offering a postponement of my holiday but no refund of payment.

Is it possible to look for a charge back on my credit card under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

Is it possible to look for a charge back on my credit card under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974
Not under that legislation, as it's UK legislation.

But you might still be able to do a chargeback under the scheme (visa / MasterCard) rules. Contact your bank, and they'll walk you through what's possible. You'll have to demonstrate that you've engaged with the hotel, and they're unable to provide the service. If you used an intermediary to either book or pay (e.g. PayPal) you'll need to exhaust their dispute mechanism first.

I have applied for a chargeback to my credit card for my hotel purchase. One of the questions that I am being asked by the credit card company is

"What alternatives were offered to me by the hotel and my reasons as to why I won't accept"

The hotel is only offering me a postponement of my stay up to end of March 2021 but no refund.

I want to word the following in language that might prove a successful outcome, can anyone help.

"I am scared shitless to travel anywhere until next year, and until I know this Covid 19 is definitely gone. "I do not believe that this hotel chain will still be in business" "I want my money back now, as I may need it" "The hotel may have further charges or restrictions on my future stay"

I

I

I want to word the following
You don't need all of that.
You've paid for a stay on specific dates. The hotel has closed for those dates, and thus unable to provide the service paid for. The alternative offered by hotel (a voucher) is not acceptable, as it doesn't provide for the original service paid for.

Thanks Red Onion. I have submitted my claim and I have used your helpful comments. Useful to have someone to help me think outside the box.

Ryanair flights. I have been offered a refund for my cancelled flights in April. The booking was for myself and my wife.

It is necessary to tick a box if you are looking for a refund for all persons travelling on the one booking.

Can we keep this thread to package holidays only? There's additional consumer legislation that applies to packages, so other non-package travel issues should be raised in the other threads.

Back