covering for wooden stairs?

clownie

Hi

At present we have a carpet on our stairs that is about 20 years old. It was the previous owners who put it in and it must have been a good one because it is still relatively good. Any way just looking for some advice on replacing it. One of our kids is mildly asthmatic so we are minimizing the number of carpets in our house as much as possible. It is a straight, wooden stairs with 13 steps.

We were thinking of restoring the stairs i.e. lifting the carpet and painting/staining the stairs or else getting them covered in a thin veneer of wood. We have already replaced the carpet in the hall with solid maple flooring. Would it be hard to get a similar match on the stairs. Also does anyone have any idea how much such a job would cost?

Our other option is to get another carpet. I think that a 80:20 wool:synthetic ratio is best for stairs? Are these types of carpets expensive?

Are they any other options for stair covering that I haven't thought of and if there are, how much roughly do they cost.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Yes, but it would probably look terrible. No doubt painting/staining is the best option from a dust point of view, but you might be surprised at how noisy an uncovered staircase can be.

I used sisal carpeting on mine. It's very hardwearing, good for high traffic areas, but expensive, and not particularly easy to keep clean.

nearly sure you could only tile a concrete stairs,the tiles would crack along the grout on a wooden stairs,its hard too know what too do till you see the condition of the steps once the carpet comes off..

I'd carpet the stairs, largely for noise reasons but also because re-finishing them is a finicky job. Covering them with anything else, whether it's tiles or veneer, may not give the quality of finish you're looking for and could be difficult to match to your other finishes. The only carpet we have in our entire house is on the stairs, for pretty much those reasons! I think it's 100% wool, but know it's rated as hard-wearing - that may be as relevant as the actual fibre mix.

Another possible solution, if you really want to be carpet free, is to clean, sand and paint them. Friends of ours painted their staircase in a just off-white hardwearing wood gloss, which did look well and didn't clash with the other floor coverings. Or you could even get a combination for a classic look: painted stairs with a (well secured) stair runner.

you can get some timber treads and risers that will make your old staircase look like a brand new srairs. There is a choice of wood finishes to suit every style and i think they look great

thermalcrete do they make the stairs a lot higher? Also how much would such a job cost.
Thanks

Back