Court summons

Samantha jane - what way did you phrase the question to the Guard when you rang? Would they have thought that the car would be parked in a drive way.
If parking in a public place whether car is in use or not you need insurance.

To the OP - did you have the court date and what was the outcome?
In relation to you paying the fine (if you actually did) and then getting a subsequent summons - I would say it was because you have x no of days in which to pay the fine and you perhaps paid after that time frame thus getting the summons.

Just reading this, it's sooooo unfair, I know people who've been taken off 5 different cars for no insurance and no case in the court.

you dont need insurance fo a car thats parked up...only when its moving under its own steam, thats when insurance comes into play!

1. if you are unable to attend on the date summonsed then seek an adjournment until you are able to attend. Do this by ringing the court clerk they will advise you how.
2. Attend the court on the agreed date.
3. explain the situation to the judge and accept the fine he gives you.

If you have not paid the original fine by error or ommision and the judge accepts your cliam about not driving then the likely outcome is a doubling of the original fine and an award of costs to the state brief. so a €80 fine would become €160 and either €100 or €200 for costs depending on the mood of the judge.

If you have paid the fine but failed to produce proof of insurance to the station then the situation is a little different, it will depend on how the judge percieves your story. If the judge thinks you are telling porkies he could find against your for no insurance and that could carry a sentence of 1 year off the road and points and fine and costs.

or the judge could accept your story and treat it as non production of docs and you could get €100 to €200 plus costs.

Either way its important that you or a rep is in court on the agreed date if you have any proof of your story then I would bring it.

I am not offering this as 100% accurate advice just my experience. Theres lots of bad advice on this thread allready so hopefully I havent added to it.

Good luck

from the sounds of it you originally received a fixed charge notice (fcps) for "non display of valid insurance disc" which carries a fine which should have been paid within 56 days, the fine was not paid and a summons was issued. similar procedure to a parking ticket.

contact the garda and the garda can seek an adjournment to a suitable date if you are out of the country.

on court date explain to the judge the circumstances, if convicted likely outcome is a doubleing of original fine. no penalty points or disqualification for non display of valid insurance disc, penalty points and disqualification only relates to someone summonsed and convicted for offence of "no insurance"

Last edited:
Back