Court summons for no tv licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

jillyb

So back in August a TV licence inspector called while I was working from home. I only answered as I was waiting on a package.

We don't have Virgin or sky etc so I told him that although we still have a TV set that we don't use. I also said we aren't here long and are moving soon. He said you'll probably be ok but can he take my details to show he'd visited the residence.

I didn't want to give him my name so I gave him a fake name as didn't fully believe him when he said we probably wouldn't need one.

A letter came in the post a while ago to get one in fake name which I ignored.

Today a registered letter was put through our letter box with a court summons in the fake name.

Should I ignore it or mark the letter that this person is no longer at this address and pop in a post box or what?

I think you should get a TV licence. Sky, Virgin etc. Didn't matter... You've an "idiot lantern" in the corner so you are obliged to have a licence.

Whatever about the so called "previous occupant" why go through the court summons process again. The property is on the radar.

I didn't want to give him my name so I gave him a fake name as didn't fully believe him when he said we probably wouldn't need one.
Given that you didn't believe him, why didn't you buy a license at the time? Would have taken the property off their hit list.

Should I ignore it or mark the letter that this person is no longer at this address and pop in a post box or what?
Are you renting or do you own the property?

Unless you're moving, it may be difficult to evade this lie. Even if moving, the landlord/ future owners will likely receive any further correspondence and they may pass on your details.

We are actually moving (to a different county) but it's been pushed out for another 6 months. We own the property and will be renting it out.

I was just wondering if there is anything they can really do seeing as the summons isn't in my name.

That person could have been here and now is gone. TV licence inspector is hardly going to remember what I look like. Yes in hindsight I probably should have gotten a licence after the visit but I thought we'd be gone sooner.

I was just wondering if there is anything they can really do seeing as the summons isn't in my name.
When your made up identity doesn't show up in court, a judgement will likely be issued, when that comes to be served your story might unravel.

If you are going to pretend that the person was renting the house, I presume you don't have an RTB registration to back that story up.

If you own the property (I think) it's you that needs to have the TV licence.
In the case of the summons that came, it has nothing to do with you, but unless you're exempt from having a TVL I'd be getting one now.

That'll end badly for you. You are the owner with no record of renting the property to anyone, let alone the fake name you provided.

Just pay it now for this property and pay it again in your new property. When you do rent the property, it'll be the tenants obligation

Get a licence, go to Court and tell the truth - tell the Judge that you paniced when you were caught, it was stupid, and that you are sorry. Show that you have since bought the licence.

My personal opinion is that your are extremely unlikely to be sentenced to prison time, assuming this is your first offence; but you may be fined, or given community work to do.

Whatever the outcome of the court case, just remember, it would have ultimately been worse for you, if you didn't turn up, and the judge ordered the Gardai to go find you, only to then discover that you have a false name, and then didn't take the opportunity to be honest, when you had the chance.

Get a licence, go to Court and tell the truth - tell the Judge that you paniced when you were caught, it was stupid, and that you are sorry. Show that you have since bought the licence.

Very good advice.

If you don't do that, you may go to prison and they won't like it if you give the Governor a false name.

Brendan

Get a licence,
That's good advice. Buy the licence, better still get your partner / housemate to buy the licence. Keeps your name out of things. That, and returning the letter "not at this address" probably kills the matter stone dead.

....go to Court and tell the truth - tell the Judge that you paniced when you were caught, it was stupid, and that you are sorry.
:eek::eek: That is dreadfully bad advice! It's the prosecution's job to prove every element of a criminal offence, in this case possession of a television set without a licence. You're under no obligation to hand them the proof on a plate.

My personal opinion is that your are extremely unlikely to be sentenced to prison time, assuming this is your first offence; but you may be fined, or given community work to do.
Your personal opinion happens to be right but not for the reason you think. The OP can't be sentenced to prison or community service! The Broadcasting Act provides for a fine only, prison is not an option. (Unless a court imposed fine is unpaid.)

Whatever the outcome of the court case, just remember, it would have ultimately been worse for you, if you didn't turn up, and the judge ordered the Gardai to go find you, only to then discover that you have a false name, and then didn't take the opportunity to be honest, when you had the chance.
Theoretically, the case could go ahead with the fake name being called in Court and nobody to answer the charge. Theoretically, a bench warrant could be issued in the false name. Theoretically an avid, enthusiastic Guard could follow up and discover that the false name is actually your alias. Theoretically, that Guard could take a statement from the TV licence inspector identifying you as the person who admitted to possession of the TV set. Theoretically, the guard could arrest you on foot of the bench warrant and bring you before the Court to answer the charge. Theoretically, his Sergeant or Inspector might think this is a good use of Garda resources.

The reality is likely to be different. Just buy the goddamn licence!

Thanks everyone for all the advice.

So I'm thinking the best thing to do is get a licence in either myself or my husbands name.

Should I wait a couple weeks so it doesn't look suspicious I bought one as soon as the summons arrived or get it right away as it could look like we moved in recently and when the summons arrived we said we'd better get one asap?

Then there's the matter of the summons letter...no one signed for it, could be because of covid they don't ask for people to sign letters.

Will I mark not at this address or something along those lines aswell and pop it in the post box or just leave it altogether? If I wait a couple weeks to get the licence then I need to wait to send the summons letter off too which may look odd.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for all the advice.

So I'm thinking the best thing to do is get a licence in either myself or my husbands name.

Should I wait a couple weeks so it doesn't look suspicious.......

The advice seems to be that you should not break the law and buy one now.
Not sure if this site is where you should be seeking advice on how to break the law. The Mods should pick up on this.

I'm a former TV Licence Inspector.

1. Somebody signed for the registered letter.
2. It is confirmed that there is a TV set in your residence.
3. You gave a false name.
4. The loss of revenue regarding the licence is still increasing on your address and therefore remains within the "radar."
5. You must hope the Inspector won't be proactive in chasing arrears (on loss of revenue). If he/she is, you have a "situation" on hands.
6. I suggest you buy a television licence immediately under your real name. Suddenly, the loss of revenue may be discarded by the inspector and he/she will be happy with the "kill." You can hope for this and likely will happen.
7. You don't need a police record for falsifying information. The repercussions can be much more serious than not having a TV licence.
8. Renew your TV licence early when it expires next year.
9. Somebody is complaining that this forum should not be used for such stories. This forum goes beyond the story and offers good advice.

Give up on the "it's not in my name" nonsense. If that worked, everyone who got arrested would lie about their name and get away scot free.

You should actually worry about it. The judge will take a dim view of you giving a false name. You've been caught without a licence, buy a new one immediately, say you are sorry, say you panicked when you gave a false name and are sorry for that to. Judge may give you a fine/ poor box contribution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back