Court orders demolition of family home

The process should be a lot more transparent and it shouldn't take a change in staff or a word with a local politician to get approval.

I met a councillor who told me that he had sites that he wanted to get planning on but he knew the planner would not go for it. He said he was holding off for two years as he knew she was "moving on" after that and was sure he'd get planning then. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I won't say what party it was but it was not FF. I would guess FF don't wait for the planner to move!

"It's all about who you know" applies to planning permission more than anything else IMO. The process should be a lot more transparent and it shouldn't take a change in staff or a word with a local politician to get approval. Is it any wonder we have had such bad planning decisions in the recent past?

Good heavens, surely you're not suggesting there is corruption in the planning process! That is a scurillous remark, Deputy! I demand that the Deputy withdraw that remark, Ceann Comhairle!!

And for someone else to imply that if there is corruption, then it is assumed to be from FF. Well, I am so indignant, I'll have to go lie down (in my holiday home mansion in West Cork!!).

I don't. They got refused for planning. They then built a house twice the size of the initial refusal.
That house must have cost at least €600K to build. Seeing as the couple did not have planning permission I cannot see how they got a mortgage. So, on that basis, that's €650K in cash they had lying about. Did they think that they didn't need to conform to the rules like the rest of us who have to borrow from the bank and satisfy the planners conditions?
I wonder if anyone from Revenue is cross-checking the plumber's tax returns as we speak?

I wonder if anyone from Revenue is cross-checking the plumber's tax returns as we speak?

I hadn't thought of that at first but it was said to me last night over dinner. He might be asked to cough up a list of people who worked on the house also. Yikes. :eek: Is being part of meitheal a defence?

It was also said to me that maybe he did have a mortgage and perhaps the bank did not cross the t's etc. etc. Surely not? I mean our banks have a long tradition of ensuring planning is in place before they hand out money to any property boom merchant who walks through the door....oh!!!

The bit I liked was " We store animal food and machinery there" I imagined a combine harvester in the Kitchen.

great stuff. Will keep a careful eye out in 2 years time.

noah

Personnaly, I've had bad experiences with ABP. They went and rejected 2 decisions by the local council and the recomendation of their own planner by granting our old neighbours permission to build a monstrosity and left us with no option but to sell. (Eves of neighbours new build would be overhanging our boundry wall as an example of the nature of their decision). Hence I have some sympathy for the couple in question given that planning in Ireland is a lottery.

Having said that, did they really need a mansion the size of what they built? As for mortgage approval, given the way the banks were throwing money at people and given some of the recent reporting of commercial loans being granted with virtually no checks being done (or at best, half done), is it any surprise that they may have got a mortgage

I don't get what the big problem is. I understand that it can be a nightmare regarding planning in this country but these people were told no, they then went and did quite the opposite. Of course they should be forced to pull it down.

I think the title of this thread is misleading and should be 'Court orders demolition of illegally built structure which happens to house an idiot who shows complete comtempt of the planning process but thought he could get away with it, and his family'

I think the title of this thread is misleading and should be 'Court orders demolition of illegally built structure which happens to house an idiot who shows complete comtempt of the planning process but thought he could get away with it, and his family'

Thank God you're not a mod!

Back