Couple of days away - Galway or Dublin?

RMCF

Heading away for a few days next week (midweek not weekend - prob Tue to Thur/Fri) and can't decide which would be better to head to, Dublin or Galway.

Always liked Galway and haven't been there for a few years. Always liked the vibe and probably slightly cheaper than Dublin. But then again I am thinking that Dublin might have more to do than Galway midweek.

I am just looking for a relaxing break, meal out at night, few beers maybe a show etc.

Which should I do?

Hotels in Galway are the most expensive in Ireland acording to Irish Independent:
[broken link removed]

I live in Galway and know that of you are willing to stay 2 or 3 km from the city centre, you can get a good hotel.

Are you travelling with kids? Do you have a car? Any other info?
Keep in mind that there are over a thousand taxis in Galway so that's not a problem.

In Salthill, try Galway Bay Hotel or on the other side of the city, try Days Hotel.

If you want to stay city centre, the Meyrick looks good (it used to be the Great Southern Hotel). The Radisson is nice too but expensive.

I think I would probably go for Galway. I am not sure at this stage that it is much cheaper than Dublin but it's a great place to visit. Pick a hotel in or close to the city centre and you will have lots of choice of places to eat and drink nearby. Oranmore is also a nice place to stay and within easy driving distance of Galway city. Have a look at some of the travel websites to help you to choose a good place to stay. Enjoy the break!

Galway for sure - try the Racing Lodge Hotel, cheapest hotel in Galway and super value - decent bar, very good bar food and excellent rooms.

Then there is the Clayton - excellent but dear.:cool:

Thanks for the replies folks.

Still undecided.

I forgot to mention that it only a couple travelling, with a car (although this won't be going out with us at night - drink involved!).

I haven't been in Galway in approx 5 years and I always liked it. I would like to see it again but I am worried that midweek the bars/entertainment might be very quiet this time of year. Whereas in Dublin at least if stuck there is always the theatre/concerts etc to go for.

I haven't been in Galway in approx 5 years and I always liked it. I would like to see it again but I am worried that midweek the bars/entertainment might be very quiet this time of year. Whereas in Dublin at least if stuck there is always the theatre/concerts etc to go for.

Sounds like you just answered your own question!

Sounds like you just answered your own question!

Haven't really. OK I have said that there will definitely be things to do in Dublin midweek - thats obvious. But I will probably not be up for theatre etc and thats why I would prefer to do Galway IF there was a few live bands on etc in pubs. But I am worried that with the pubs getting quieter these days it might be weekend only for entertainment.

So the real question is:

"Whats the pub scene like midweek in Galway"

or

"Any live bands on in the pubs midweek in Galway".

"Whats the pub scene like midweek in Galway"

or

"Any live bands on in the pubs midweek in Galway".

www.TownHallTheatreGalway.com who have something on every night. They also operate the Black Box theatre which has 1500 seats. The website has a downloadable brochure of events

www.RoisinDubh.net concerts every night

The Quays bar has gigs most nights

www.galwayadvertiser.ie local newspaper. Check out the PDF format and go to the entertainment section.

And finally, this website might come in handy.... www.galwaycitypubguide.com

Galway is busy every night with all of the students from the University and the GMIT.
The Kings Head at the cross of Shop Street and High Street has live music every night and it has no cover charge. Tigh Coli opposite the Kings Head or Taafes beside it both have trad sessions earlier in the evening but great for a warm up to the night ahead.

The Front Door Pub (part facing onto High Street) is nice. Neachtains is very cosy and gets alot of the artsy crowd although its become kind of the in place lately I hear.

I would avoid the Quays upstairs unless you really love the band playing. They do have some great acts but some really crappy ones too and the cover charge can be a bit stiff. It's got a bit of a reputation lately for the kind of crowd it attracts...not quite blue rinse brigade but just a dodgy mix of people.

Roisin Dubh is good and for good bar food and relaxing atmosphere, try the Cottage Bar in lower Salthill..Finnegans on I think its Middle Street for a no fuss slap up dinner or lunch.

McSwiggans are pretty reliable but there are lots of restaurants in Galway so walk around and check out the menus..there are some doing pretty good early bird offers..

Have a great time.

Hillsalt and Jennypen

Thanks for your replies - gave me plenty to think about.

Back