County Council Rates

David_Dublin

Anyone know why the rate collector's name and home address is on the county council rates invoices? Who are rate collectors and how are they remunerated, assigned etc. Do they get a % of the rates that you pay? What happens if you dont pay? We have just got a "final reminder", our 1st & 2nd moeity is outstanding for this year. I'm wondering should I be worried about it. I think the collector just dropped it in himself. Any info would be appreciated, really curious to understand the whole thing.

Hi Daviddublin
I cant answer all the questions but here is some info. Not sure what area your in but Rate Collectors are employees of the Local Authority for your area. It can vary from Local authority to local authority but some work from home - hence the name and address. they are not paid on a percentage of the rate they are paid a public servant salary. Given the cutbacks in Local Authorities I imagine that they will be under severe pressure to have the rates collected as they form an important part of finance for your LA. Not sure of the proceedure but imagine eventually they can pursue the debt through the court but perhaps someone else can help. Have a look also at your local authorities website you might find some info there. Good luck.

Thanks for the info Monsoon. Might try paying te first moeity so. The office is in a place with no bin collection or street lighting, i think it is having a laugh to charge rates at all. In Dun Laoghaire Rathdown county county, small single storey open plan office rates of 3400k a year.

Back