County Council job - Pension

construct_06

does anyone have any details about Pensions for local authority staff.

I am an engineer and am about to take up a position with the local County Council.

Im just wondering what is the pension like.

I am 30, can i buy back years, Avcs etc...

I believe that as i am classed as a new entrant, the Public Service Superannuation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 applies.

Also i have been offered the job of Assistant Engineer, starting at bottom scale. What dictates what scale i should start on or do you have to start at the bottom?

I am an engineer and am about to take up a position with the local County Council.

Was this not explained to you in the job offer/contract? You are taking a job without having researched the benefits that go with it?! :confused:

"Was this not explained to you in the job offer/contract? You are taking a job without having researched the benefits that go with it?! :confused:"

Actually i havent received it yet. Its due today in the post. I have not accepted any job offer as yet.

I am 30, can i buy back years, Avcs etc...

I believe that as i am classed as a new entrant, the Public Service Superannuation (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2004 applies.

Also i have been offered the job of Assistant Engineer, starting at bottom scale. What dictates what scale i should start on or do you have to start at the bottom?

check out www.cspensions.gov.ie

plenty of info etc

mula

www.cspensions.gov.ie refers to the civil service only and does not extend to the broader public service (Local Authorities etc).

If you search the pensions section for Local Authorities you will get some hits.

Have a look at some of the keyposts at the top of the forum here.

EXISTING PUBLIC SERVICE OCCUPATIONAL PENSION ARRANGEMENTS
A very good page summarising the various public service schemes
Civil Service
Permanent Defence Forces
Garda Síochána
National and Second Level Teachers and Clerical Support Staff in Schools
Third Level Education
Health Service
Local Authorities
Non-Commercial State Sponsored Bodies (FAS, Forfas, Teagasc etc)

Back