Council tenant - Can I buy out the house

fullcare

I was a Widower and live in a council house with my children who are disable. I am a fulltime carer can I bye my council house with the life insurance as our home is built for wheelchairs we don't want to move ???

Has someone said to you that you're moving? I'd imagine you can purchase the house but it may not be to your advantage to do so. Others, with more knowledge can tell you more.

As asked by noprobem, is the council telling you that you are not eligible as a tenant anymore and requesting you to leave ?

No just wanted to buy it and because i was on carer allowance I gave up carers allowance as the life insurance policy payed out I am not allowance to buy my council home as I am not working even though I have the cash and also can't bye a home for one of my adult children unless i put the it in her name but I don't want their partners to have a claim on the property if they ever separated as my child is a wheelchair user, I also can't be a council tenant if I buy a home for my child if in my name I have 2 adult children that use wheelchairs and they need there own home's and I have younger kids at home also

Last edited:
It's very difficult to read your posts without periods and punctuations. (i.e. commas ' and periods .) I would advise you to stay where you are for now and pay rent to the council. Depending on how much your insurance is to try and buy a house for yourself first which caters for your needs. Worry about buying a house for your daughter once you get the first problem dealt with.

Hi fullcare, I will try and structure your post a little bit and you can correct it.

You are currently living in a council home with all your children, two of which are adult and use wheelchairs.
You were getting carer's allowance but then you lost your partner and a life insurance policy paid out.
Now you cannot claim carer's allowance anymore.?
The council will not sell you the house because you are not working / have no income.?
You want to buy for each of your adult children their own house but you do not trust their spouses having a claim on half of it if they ever divorce.
If you buy the houses in your own name, you will not be allowed to live in the council home you are currently in so you would need a third house for yourself and your younger kids.

The life insurance payout amount is an important factor here. You might want to get proper legal advice on ways to ensure your children stay in the family house in the event of a divorce.

Other posters here might be able to give further advise if you are willing to disclose further information.

If I recall correctly, tenancy of a council house can be 'inherited' - if an adult child is living in the house & the remaining parent passes away the adult child can continue the tenancy.

So, my tuppence worth.

Stay where you are, continue the tenancy as is. Keep your life assurance money - invest it if you wish, go on holiday for yourself (sounds like you deserve it), treat the family to a few days out.

If one of your adult children wants to buy their own home, you can make a gift of some money towards the deposit if you wish; and then leave them at it. You can't control (and therefore shouldn't worry about) what might happen in the future.

Last edited:
Back