Council housing questions

Pinkboi

Have recently been offered a council house (after many many years on a waiting list)
I have a few questions if anyone could help that would be great. I've literally been given an address and no other info. Have tried to call but the numbers provided just ring out.

What are the minimum standards for council housing? Will there be central heating or is that a perk?
Do the council paint the house prior to me moving in?
Will anything be provided in the house? (Flooring/bathroom/kitchen)
Do I need to purchase home insurance?

I've been in private rented accommodation for over 15years now and have no clue about council housing.
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Buildings insurance - no, as you don't own the house.

Contents - up to you I'd say.

Central heating - I'd assume every house has central heating.

Thanks, the house is an older house. From what i know they have a range in the kitchen (maybe a back boiler?) And fire place in the sitting room.

I wasn't sure if all council houses needed to be upgraded to central heating or if the fire/range would suffice.

Thanks, the house is an older house. From what i know they have a range in the kitchen (maybe a back boiler?) And fire place in the sitting room.

I wasn't sure if all council houses needed to be upgraded to central heating or if the fire/range would suffice.
Council owned property tend to meet current building regulations regarding energy efficiency etc so I would expect it to be ready to move into.

Make sure you find out if the range has a back boiler and also the fireplace before putting on a fire.

pimkboi

Congratulations on getting the house, wishing you many happy years. The house will be given to you in top condition so you have nothing to worry about there. The council would have completely refurbished the property after the last tenant moved out.

Thanks so much everyone.
I'll definitely ask about the back boiler.
The property is empty at the moment (and from looking outside, it's been this way a while)

Back