Council Development fees - open to negotiation?

mwhich

Hi guys, we're hoping to commence our self build sometime in the near future and need to pay approx 4.5k to Waterford County Council for development charges. Has anybody attempted to renegotiate these with the council recently given the economic situation?

mwhich,

I'm afraid I know of no-one who has successfully argued for a reduction based on economic hardship due to the recession, but other posters here may contribute something in this regard.

OTOH, you are about to spend hundreds of thousands on a self-build - do you think your position will be viewed as credible by the Local Authority or a Court of Law?

Perhaps you could successfully agree staged payments - in that case, see below.

======================

Levies and Contributions normally arise through the wording of a Condition of a Grant of Planning Permission.

Conditions are usually non-negotiable unless you've appealed your permission to An Bórd Pleanála successfully, or unless the wording of the Condition allows for alternative payment arrangements.

Where I have seen these, you are likewise bound by the terms set out on the Condition, so read your permission carefully.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

A lot of people I know renegotiated and even paid only half.

Names of local authorities known to be willing to negotiate for example would give people some hope.
It would be very useful to post a few details to allow readers to benefit from your experience, or rather, from their experience.
If these anecdotal reports are discovered to be well-founded, they could pave the way for significant cost reduction negotiations in all local authorities.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

A lot of people I know renegotiated and even paid only half.

I'd be very interested in hearing mistermiste. It's frustrating having to fork out that large sum of money in this day and age, especially when you don't feel you're getting value for your money...

Thanks for coming back to us on that, mistermiste.

Nice to know some Councils have a sense of the economic reality that supports them.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back