Council approved Planning Application for one of their tenants.

PatrickJ

Just a quick question if somebody could shed some light please:

Why would a landlord, in this case the Council, give planning permission approval to a tenant who is merely renting one of their properties? The tenant is fully able bodied and does not require extra room for disability equipment, wheelchair ramps etc.

As your average landlord would never consider allowing a tenant apply for planning why should it be any different for the tax payer funded Council?

Could it be .
. Good tenant ,
1. Paying council rent on time every time, and is highly likely to remain.
2. Is tenant paying for extension.( suits council & tenant)

Average (private) landlords do not give ,and I don,t think the legislation is in place , to give long term certainty as per councils , so they can,t consider the proposal.

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for clarifying and yes to points 1 and 2.

I'm living in my current home for over a decade. The estate is council built but approximately 80% of the properties are now privately owned. An elderly neighbor of mine passed away some years ago and his family sold the property. A young couple and their children moved in and I simply thought they had purchased the property as they began extensive upgrading the minute they moved in. I've been generally living on a building site for ten years! The work they have had completed has not been of a high standard.

Not that its any of my business but only last week I heard they are renting the property from the council and the tenants informed me the council may need to gain entry into my yard at some point as their property is beginning to show severe structural defects possibly from poor workmanship.

So I'm generally peeved that the council who appear to know the property maybe compromised have still allowed further development to continue.

Back