Could you move back home?

liaconn

I was talking with a friend recently about being in negative equity and not being able to afford to move etc etc and she was coming up with solutions that all involved moving back home for a few years. She couldn't understand why I wasn't prepared to do that.
My parents are great and we get along fine but I just couldn't move back in with them long term. Just wondering if any of you would find it easy to move back home after being used to having your own place?

Mine are dead - so obviously not an option - but there is no way I would even if they were alive.

On the other hand, my father in law is a nice old gent and not too well, I wouldnt mind if he moved in with us if he needed to. But he wouldnt like that idea.

I guess its the difference between being the boss in your own home and not?

I wouldn't like it, but if I had to I would. However, it would probably mean giving up work and changing the kids school as my parents don't live near where we do! My parents did it for 10 years after they got married, it wasn't always easy, but they did what they had to do.

A few years ago I was down home and went out for a few pints, didn't get in til I 2am ish. Next morning, met one of the neighbours and was told, "Jazus, you were out a bit late last night."

My parents are pensioners and it's great that all the pensioners in the terrace keep an eye on each other, but it would do my head in. Between boarding school, college, emigration, working away from home and getting married, I haven't lived with my parents for 30 years.

Mind you, even though my home, (wife, kids etc) are 2 hours from where I grew up, I still go "down home" to my parents once a month or so. My father used to go "out home" to visit his mother 5 miles away when she was alive. What is "home "?

To quote (I think) Margaret Thatcher. Home is where you go and they have to let you in.

I couldn't because my sister and her family are already there. We could move in with my MIL. she just lives down the road, kids could stay in the same school and all that but BIL moved back in there last week so there would be no room for us there either.

I'd hate to leave my own home though, things would have to be really bad before I would live with someone else

No, I couldn't move back. I would have to have my own place, I love to meet my folks but it is nice to go back to my own patch.

Speaking as a grandparent - I couldn't do this and I couldn't do that is what I am hearing here. Hey Guys, if you had to, you would. The circumstances in the home patch might not live up to your expectations, but it is good to know that you have a place in which to beat a retreat, if necessary. So dont knock the old patch. You never know when you will need it.

Consider the following:-
House Repossessions are at an all-time high.
Rent prices are getting higher too.
Divorce/Separations are on the increase.
Jobs are getting scarcer.

. . . and of course your food is always ready . . . and the washing machine is available . . . and old friends are best.

Speaking as a grandparent - I couldn't do this and I couldn't do that is what I am hearing here. Hey Guys, if you had to, you would. The circumstances in the home patch might not live up to your expectations, but it is good to know that you have a place in which to beat a retreat, if necessary. So dont knock the old patch. You never know when you will need it.

Consider the following:-
House Repossessions are at an all-time high.
Rent prices are getting higher too.
Divorce/Separations are on the increase.
Jobs are getting scarcer.

. . . and of course your food is always ready . . . and the washing machine is available . . . and old friends are best.
I'm sold. Where do you live?

There might be a few questions from my wife and four kids but your house sounds better.

. . . and Purple, the fridge is always stocked with beer. . . conversation is great . . . if your car gets reposessed, you can use ours . . . etc etc.

I moved home for 2 months while I was waiting for a job offer and my lease was up. I nearly cracked up.

I was on my own so wouldn't have anything like the amount of stuff a family or other person would have. A small family would need to be moving back to a large house or else try and get storage.

It was strange having to try and think what time I'd be home when I was going out for the night.

The fully stocked fridge and cooked dinners were nice though.

What if the parents don't want you back on a permanent basis :D

I hear so many of my friends complain about their kids not leaving the nest because they have it too good. Some don't contribute financially towards the running of the house, never clean up after themselves and, generally treat it like a doss house. I know its their parent's fault but old habits die hard.

A few years back when houses could be sold I heard of some couples who sold up just to get the sons/daughters to move on :)

Back