Couch - Am i entitled to refund?

UnaS

I ordered a 3seater and 2seater recliner from a furniture shop on saturday 14th of june...
Man in the shop siad we would get the couch within 6-9wks... so I thought fair enough i could wait till start of
August as I was moving into a new house. I paid the deposit then and few wks later paid for couch in full
as i had enough bills and wanted to get it paid for.
Start of August i rang the shop about the couch.. said was a delay and it was would arrive mid august...rang again
mid august and they said it would be end of august... rang again.. then said it would be start of sept.. rang start
of sept ... said it would arrive the following wk..
Rang them on monday the 8th.. and said couch had arrived in dublin store but would have to wait on a delivery date.
Got phone call from them this morning and said it would be delievered on 30th of september!!!!!
that is nearly 16wks!!!!!
i am soooooooooo mad .... i told the man on the phone i wanted my money back and i would go get a couch
some place else as this was just ridiculous..... he said the he couldnt do that as it was the supplier
of the couch that let them down!
Does anyone know if i am entitiled to a refund???? Or what exactly my right are?

If your contract said the couch would be here, and it is not then you are entitled to a full refund....

his problem with his supplier is between him and them , not your issue...

why not wait the extra few weeks, by the time you argue the refund etc, and look for a new couch would be end of month anyway. why not express your anger and look to get a voucher or something.
i personally would be very pee'd off but if i like the couch i would wait and ask for some compensation for the inconvenience.
prob in small print somewhere that they are not responsible for any delays in delivery etc. check it out tho...no harm

I could almost guarantee that there was no firm commitment from the supplier re delivery time. There hardly ever is.

They probably said "estimated delivery..." or "delivery approx...." etc

I'd be very surprised if any furniture store committed to a specific delivery date - otherwise we wouldn't see half the threads we see on delayed furniture (I had one myself earlier this year)...

As was pointed out to me at the time, if OP cancels now, chances are she'll have a longer wait for whoever she re-orders from now, given she's starting from scratch.

i am just so mad... yes it said APPROX 6-9wks on the document when i got the couch... but i didnt expect to be waiting 16wks!! i know what you mean when u say we have to start from scratch again lookin for another couch.. but its just the principal of the matter... arghhhhh.

Not if the op orders a couch that is 'in stock'... I ordered mine from an often complained about company on a Friday, it arrived the following Thursday....

Not if the op orders a couch that is 'in stock'... I ordered mine from an often complained about company on a Friday, it arrived the following Thursday....

Fair enough - I did say 'chances are'. In my own experience I didn't find a single item of furniture I wanted to be in stock.

You may not have bought from the shop that this thread refers to, however, many people posted to it with the same problem as you have, so you may find some useful information. At the very least you will know you're not alone!

TBH it's not an uncommon thing for furniture to be delivered several weeks late, and I'm sure there is no firm commitment to a delivery date in the contract.

UnaS -- we had the same problem with a Leather Suite and we got our deposit back. When they did get it in stock, they called us and we went back and paid a new, much lesser price

Exact same thing happened to us. Put deposit on couch - was told it would be 8 weeks. It didn't arrive at end of 8th week so I phoned them and asked for my deposit back. They paid up without argument.

I had phoned Consumer Rights beforehand and they told me that the shop is obligated to return your deposit if they do not fulfil all their cintractual obligations.

HTH

Back