Costs owning a flat/house in Ireland

DariaKozak

Hi,
I'm new here, I'm so excited I found this website! (Apologies if I am posting in the wrong forum.)

I need help for my older aunt who wants to move to Ireland (not too far from Dublin) and eventually buy a place to live in herself. While I live in Ireland myself, I know nothing about buying houses since I don't make that kind of money :-(
I know it's different in every country, so what costs does one need to calculate in when it comes to buying and owning a house? Obviously, the monthly mortgage rates are only part of the costs.
Suppose one bought a 2-bedroom flat for 300k in or near Dublin, second-hand home.
What other costs go into buying the place? I know stamp duty is one of them.
And what other costs go into owning a flat/house? Home insurance, of course (does anyone know how much that roughly is?), but what else should she be prepared for?

Apartments will have a service charge of 1000 - 2000 euros per year.
This is to cover block insurance, bin charges, upkeep and maintenance of building and common areas.
You will need your own contents only insurance perhaps 200e per annum.

Annual property tax of 200-300 per annum.

If the complex has a lift the service charge is usually higher.
For an older person ground floor or building with lift should be considered.

Consider the car parking situation if planning to buy car here. In city centre sometimes car park space must be purchased or leased separately.

Note that if extra income needed spare bedroom can be rented out for up to 14000 per year tax free.
Though obviously this will involve loss of privacy.

Right for some reason I thought someone in their 60s.

You can expect legal fees of approx €2000, surveyors fees about €1500. If buying no estate agency fees, stamp duty 1% purchase price up to certain amount.
That's about it really when your purchasing.

When she moves in, she will have house insurance, can vary from 400 up to €600, watch this website for good deals!! Waste bins approx €30 euro per month, wifi approx €50 per month, property tax is cheap compared to other countries. There are no water charges here. Gas and electric average €100 euro per month.
Not exactly related but she will definitely need health insurance approx €110+ upwards for any sort of decent policy.

Apartments will have a service charge of 1000 - 2000 euros per year.
This is to cover block insurance, bin charges, upkeep and maintenance of building and common areas.
You will need your own contents only insurance perhaps 200e per annum.

Annual property tax of 200-300 per annum.

If the complex has a lift the service charge is usually higher.
For an older person ground floor or building with lift should be considered.

Consider the car parking situation if planning to buy car here. In city centre sometimes car park space must be purchased or leased separately.

OP said house

When she moves in, she will have house insurance, can vary from 400 up to €600, watch this website for good deals!! Waste bins approx €30 euro per month

In most apartments wouldnt the annual service charge cover half the insurance (building) and collective waste bins.

Edit- ignore post mentioned house/flat.

Back