Costs of importing a car

jim

Hi,

What are the various costs associated with importing a car from the UK aside from the cost of the car? Other than VRT are there any?

Thanks,
Jim

Transport or if not trucked, temporary insurance and ferry costs if the car is not in NI.

Reactions: jim
There's a thread on boards.ie (blocked where I work so can't send the link) that has details. Really looking like an option with the drop in STG. I would do it before long too...only time before the motor trade here start pushing the government to increase the VRT rates ;)

I think you'll always find extremes Purple but in general I find that the prices, once VRT is factored in and based on the current exchange rate, are about 15-20% more on average here. What you really need to weigh up is whether or not you are happy to deal with any issues should they arise as it's not very practical to head back over to the UK to get them looked into. You also need to factor in how to get rid of your old car as trade ins are not as welcome in UK, nor will you get much for it. Ideally if you can sell yourself before heading over, or shortly after, that would see the best savings here.
Buying from the UK certainly is back in consideration now alright though. Personally I'm hoping to use it as a bargaining tool in getting the price down a bit with local dealers but if that fails then I'll be looking to the UK again.

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

That's some difference!

22900 is too much for a three year old Mazda 6 but even it is , it's important to remember you are charged VRT based on book value of southern car , irrelevant what you actually buy car in the north for

22900 is too much for a three year old Mazda 6 but even it is , it's important to remember you are charged VRT based on book value of southern car , irrelevant what you actually buy car in the north for
Yea, the import costs just under €14,000 including VRT.

Plenty of 2013 Mazda6s available here for around €14K Purple. I don't think it ever helps an argument to use the outliers in your case.

A guy I work with brought in an Audi A5 from motorpoint.co.uk and saved about 7k. Motorpoint looks very good "cars up to three years old and with less than 15,000 miles". I priced a 151 Skoda Superb with 12k miles and it came in at 15,500 in euro plus 3,500 VRT. 19k for a 1 year old Superb is...superb!

All near or over 100,000 miles and, as you say, manual. That's not a like for like comparison.

UK Car Imports based in Dublin look like a good alternative and a bit of security as well.
I am not connected to them btw

I think the point I've made is clear though Purple, your example is an outlier, not a typical representation of the cost of such a car here. As I said already, I've found, on average, the cost here has tended to be around 15-20% more here for similar spec cars. This was based on an exchange rate of around 80p to the € so with every increase in the rate vs sterling you're getting better than this obviously so it then comes down to the other factors I listed above.
Here are six cars with similar mileage, between 17-18K which is around 25% more than the cost of importing your car from the uk.

I agree that the average saving is around 25-30% with the current exchange rate.

All near or over 100,000 miles and, as you say, manual. That's not a like for like comparison.

irish people dont like automatics in the main ( i wont drive anything else myself ) so autos are not worth anymore here second hand

Yes because those are average typical cars
I don't understand your point.
Mine is that the resale value of manual transmission large saloons is rubbish because people want automatics.
Same goes for petrol model; rubbish resale because people want diesel.

Back