Costing Garage/Advice on Build

paulocon

Hi,

Our children are reaching the wonderful teenage years and we are looking into building a garage/hang-out area so we can give them a bit of space yet have them nearby.

Initially was looking at perhaps purchasing one of those prefabricated outdoor rooms but now thinking maybe we'd be better off building a garage. There is plenty of room in the garden (out in the sticks) and looking into the possibilities of perhaps building a split-level garage (back garden is on a slope). Looking at something that's properly insulated where we can stick a couch, tv, pool table etc.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of costing a garage and if you have any advice on undertaking such a project. I suppose the first step is to get some plans done and get some prices to see if it's a realistic project to take on..

Hi,

Done some more research since I posted this.

Looks like any pre-fab sheds are too small for what I'm looking for. I reckon I'd be looking at a brick-built garage of 24 by 24 foot, maybe with some attic space upstairs (potentially for an additional room).

Can anyone advise how the attic space is included in the square footage calculation?
Also wondering if anyone would have any indications on cost per square foot for such a build - note that the structure would need to be fully insulated. Would also be looking at tapping into the existing central heating.

You're not building a garage. You're building a domestic dwelling.

Get an architect involved as the building you're proposing will require planning.

An alternative .... why not look at a log cabin type structure?

That's 53.5 square metres, bigger than the 25 sq.m. exempted development for sheds limit by over 100% and exceeding the exempted development limit for extensions of 40 sq.m. by 24%.

Regardless of what you do, it looks like you will need planning permission.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I realise that I would require planning but I believe I am better off build what I want and go down the planning route than compromise. I suppose what I am trying to get a handle on is whether I can afford what I want (rather than a compromise) prior to going to planning phase.

Would an architect be able to estimate the cost of the project prior to drawing up full plans or do I need the full plans in order to tender it to builders?

look at it this way: if you build it to a garage spec - it will be cold & miserable, and no-one will want to spend any time in it........so effectively you're building a small bungalow, so build it to house spec. At least that way you'll have choices about it's uses.

I would probably go on the basis of (very) approx, €700 per sq m, which means you're looking at spending €37k.

Is that the ball-park of what you'd be happy to spend, that is the question.........

Back