cost to totally renovate a house

rosey

Hi wonderin if anybody could help with some advice -have been looking at houses and a couple we have viewed have been in a location we like but need a lot of work.
When I say this- I mean they are structurally sound but quite old-need a kitchen..maybe some walls knocked through..generally a total overhaul...new bathroom in etc....
We have no idea how much doing over a house can cost- a 3 bed semi- I know it's probably a bit of how long is a piece of string..you can probably spend as little or as much as you like..but just wondering if anybody could give even a v. rough guide as to how much work like this costs?- the minimum?
thanks- any advice appreciated , rosey

Not really possible to provide a valuation unless you provide details of what needs to be one and what condition the house is in - is the house mass concrete or cavity/block-built? Does it need to be rewired and/or replumbed (including heating system), damp-proofed, dry lined, insulated? Is roof and chimney solid? Any cracks or subsidence? What floor area roughly is the house? What condition are the windows and doors?

Cosmetic work such as decoration and new bathrooms and kitchens can work out surprisingly cheaply so long as up-market retailers are avoided and you take on as much of the work as possible yourself. Once you go beyond cosmetic work, you can be reasonably sure that in an older house there will be further unforeseen costs that only emerge as the work is underway. If you are willing to take the project on, it can be very worthwhile and satisfying so long as you secure the house for a good price - many people are turned off houses that require work.

It depends the type of finish you want, bog standard you could do it for 25K

Rewire 3K
New Heating/Plumbing 5K
Plastering 2K
Windows 6K
Kitchen 3K
Doors/Skirting 2K
Flooring 2K
Bath rooms/ showers 1K
Garden 500
Paint 500

All depends what you want done, shop around for prices from trades people, suppliers are generally cheaper outside of Dublin.

thanks for the replies guys- I think we need to list out exactly what needs to be done and see what each individual piece of work actually is...we've been going in looking at properties very blind to be honest- I think we'll have to ask more questions as to what is in place in the house with regard to wiring etc....a good place to start for us...we've been walking round places not sure how at all to estimate work that needs to be done...or what to check...
thanks again

As another poster says it really depends on the condition of the house and on your taste regarding fixtures, fittings & furnishings. We set ourselves a budget of 60k for a rennovation, rewire, new bathrooms, kitchen, flooring, garden, knock down a few walls, put up a few partitions. No idea if we'll stick to it or not, but we simply can't go over - we may end up going for cheaper options for certain things like furnishings if it looks like we're going over budget.
It helps if you have friends in the trade, we're lucky that we do and family members are helping out too. It's a good time to be rennovating, we're finding that a lot of tradespeople are glad of the work and are willing to give decent work quotes.

Back