Cost per Square Foot?

kerbs

Hi there
We are in the middle of rennovating a period house at the moment. The house will be increased in size from 1120 square foot to approx. 1680 square foot.
Does anyone know if it is possible to work out the average price per square foot of a property in Dublin?? The house is about 2 miles from the city centre in a middle class area. Our architect is quoting us some crazy stuff as regards how much he thinks the house will be worth when we are done in a years time so I just wanted to get other opinions...
Thanks a lot!!
PS this is not an investment property but our family home. Am just worried about how much we are putting into the house to rennovate it - looks like it will cost approx 130 k

Re: Cost per Square Foot??

A. Why should the value of the property mean anything if it is your family home?

B. Generally speaking extensions do not increase the value of a house any more than the value of the extension (if even that). Therefore under normal circumstances there is no point in doing an extension if the only point is to increase the value of the property.

C. Local conditions affect the value of the property to a significant degree - ask a local estate agent to value the property.

The following shows the re-build cost per square ft in Dublin:

[broken link removed]

Don't know if that helps.

Hi Shanneah- thanks for the link, that is very helpful. :)
Superman to answer your question, the reason I am wondering is that our architect brought it up last night and I just thought it was an interesting point.

Every one want to know the value of their home whether they intend to sell it or not. Of course an extension will add value to a property particularly if its to the kitchen.

Take a look at the property section in Times on Thurs., Indo on Fri. Look for houses in your area and then divide AMV by square footage. This should give you a ball park figure. Of course some houses are better than others, modernised....extensions etc.

Back