Cost of Voluntary Contributions.

Cobra

If i immigrate at age 60 with still 5 years to retirement.
My earnings per year is €32000 in my present job.
Will not qualify for pension in N/Zealand unless i have been resident or working for 10 years there.
Dose anybody know how much the voluntary contributions would cost me per year. to get my full pension sent to N/Zealand when im 65 .

Do you intend emmigrating to NZ from Ireland at age 60?

How long have you been making PRSI contributions in Ireland?

Why would you need to make any voluntary contributions?

Hi ajapale
Emmigrating to N/Z at age 60
I would have to pay voluntary contributions in order to get my full pension from Ireland at age 65.
paying PRSI 38years

Hi TomJen,

Frogive me if im missing someting here but I imagine that if you have contributed 38 years of PRSI that you are entitled to the full COAP (contributory old age pension)?

What class of PRSI were you paying?

aj

Im back again.aj

I was reading somewhere that if i miss out on the last years to retirement paying PRSI or (credits) that my pension would be reduced. regardless of how many contribution i had paid.
Im paying class A

Im back again.aj

I was reading somewhere that if i miss out on the last years to retirement paying PRSI or (credits) that my pension would be reduced. regardless of how many contribution i had paid.
Im paying class A

No mention of that in the rules (following) but to be sure you should check with Welfare. A quick calculation indicates that in 38 years you will clock up circa 1,976 contributions so you can run the numbers from there.

From www.welfare.ie...

"3. What are the social insurance contribution conditions?

State Pension (Transition)
You must have:

started paying social insurance before reaching age 55,
paid at least 260 full rate employment contributions (see changes from 6 April 2012 below)
and
a yearly average of at least 48 paid or credited full-rate contributions from 1979 to the end of the tax year before you reach age 65,
or
a yearly average of at least 24 paid or credited full rate contributions from 1953 (or the time you started insurable employment, if later) to the end of the tax year before you reach age 65.
Note

A yearly average of 24 full-rate contributions will give you the minimum State Pension (Transition). For the maximum pension, you need an average of 48 full-rate contributions.

State Pension (Contributory)
You must have:

started paying social insurance before reaching age 56,
paid at least 260 full-rate employment contributions (see changes from 6 April 2012, below),
and
a yearly average of at least 48 paid or credited full-rate contributions from 1979 to the end of the tax year before you reach age 66,
or
a yearly average of at least 10 full-rate paid or credited contributions from 1953 (or the time you started insurable employment, if later) to the end of the tax year before you reach age 66.
Note

A yearly average of 10 full-rate contributions will give you the minimum State Pension
(Contributory). For the maximum pension, you need an average of 48 full-rate contributions.

Social insurance contributions - points to note
Full-rate social insurance contributions are PRSI contributions at classes A, E, F, G, H and N or at 'ordinary' rate before 6 April 1979. See below.
Modified-rate social insurance contributions are PRSI contributions at classes B, C and D. This category also covers contributions for Widows and Orphans Pension known as the 'WOPS' rate before 6 April 1979. See below.
Class S PRSI
Class S PRSI is paid by self-employed people and provides cover for State Pension (Contributory). If you were self-employed and started paying PRSI on or after 6 April 1988, your ability to get State Pension (Contributory) may be based on your PRSI record from that date.
If you pay Class S PRSI you must have paid it in full before you can get your pension.

Changes from 6 April 2012.
If you reach pension age on or after 6 April 2012:

you must have paid at least 520 full-rate employment contributions,
or
you can make up the balance of the required 520 with high or special rate Voluntary Contributions, if you have paid at least 260 full-rate employment contributions.
Special rules on the above condition exist for people who paid high rate Voluntary Contributions on or before 6 April 1997."

If you have paid PRSI class A for 38 years you will be entitled to a 98% rate of retirement pension (under current legislation) at age 65 if you are retired or Old Age Pension at 66 whether or not you retire. Therefore it would appear to me that it would Not be cost effective to pay 5 years voluntary contributions to obtain an extra €5 per week in (current rates) your pension. Good luck!

Back