Cost of surveyor?

Alfatronic

Got a quote today from a surveyor that I used on a previous house purchase - was more than happy with his services then. However, the price has gone way up since and today was quoted 600+VAT - does this sound excessive?

Our surey cost us 302.5, which was 250 +VAT. I think you could get cheaper than 600 and I dont think it would mean a worse or better service

600 does sound excessive. A price of about 400+ vat would be a reasonable price to pay for a house survey. the price of 250 + vat sounds like a really good price, did the surveyor have the necessary insurances?

I agree with both the above. 350ish is about right and 250 at the lower end, if you can get the quality for that price. I provide this service, thats not an advertisement, and the only time I would charge a figure similar to 600 is when there is more to it, or when the client specifically asks for more details, such as a longer report and advice on the elements of the report that I would have to be more precise and accountable on. Double check with the guy that he is aware that it is just a house survey for sale purposes and not for other reasons such as structural, or measured.

600 does sound excessive. A price of about 400+ vat would be a reasonable price to pay for a house survey. the price of 250 + vat sounds like a really good price, did the surveyor have the necessary insurances?

I presume he did, he was recommended to us by the broker we went through. Would it be normal to ask a surveyer if he has the necessary insurances? IS that not like asking an accountant if they have a practisting cert or a solicitor the same?

That sounds very expensive to me. We got a survey done earlier this year and it cost €300 in total for a 3 bed house. I don't understand how your surveryor could charge that much.

I presume he did, he was recommended to us by the broker we went through. Would it be normal to ask a surveyer if he has the necessary insurances? IS that not like asking an accountant if they have a practisting cert or a solicitor the same?

It just seemed like a cheap price to me and as the saying goes "When you pay peanuts you get monkeys"

Sorry for hijacking thread but on this topic could anyone recommend a surveyor for simply providing a reinstatement value for insurance purposes for a house in dublin?

Thanks

Sorry for hijacking thread but on this topic could anyone recommend a surveyor for simply providing a reinstatement value for insurance purposes for a house in dublin?

Thanks

You should be able to do this one yourself if you use the following guide...

I used a great guy who charged €270 including vat. This includes his second visit. He was exceptionally thorough and did a great job. He is extremely reputable and really knows his stuff. You are being way over charged

I used a great guy who charged €270 including vat. This includes his second visit. He was exceptionally thorough and did a great job. He is extremely reputable and really knows his stuff. You are being way over charged

Hi Dub1. Could I get the details of your guy please?

We used a guy called John McNamara in the Midlands. It cost us 325 for a four bed house. This prices includes a return visit and an energy rating, although he found so many problems that the return visit will not be required in this case. He was VERY thorough and sat down with us for about an hour explaining his report, what needed to be done and offered advice on how best to deal with it. We were really happy with the service he provided.

Back