cost of sky tv

villa 1

Is it true that the sky tv packages are far cheaper in the uk than here. If so, can anybody tell me why?

Yes for all their packages and its because Sky don't care about their Irish customers other than as a source of revenue.

Yes for all their packages and its because Sky don't care about their Irish customers other than as a source of revenue.

ditto with upc, but you have to subscribe just to see for yourself how bad their aftersales support really is. :(

Therefore we should ask ourselves why are we paying a higher premium? Do the irish paying public know that they are getting ripped off.....again. Sky tv won't be telling us!!

Therefore we should ask ourselves why are we paying a higher premium? Do the irish paying public know that they are getting ripped off.....again. Sky tv won't be telling us!!
can we take it from your strength of feeling that you have sent a strongly worded message of protest to rupert murdoch and/or cancelled your subscription

Mine works out at €11 more than UK. Paying €70 for £46 across the sea.

I was in the uk last year, for my standard sky it was £16. Then I added 2 packages for a pound each. So my sky was £18. I then had my broadband and sky talk with them. Because i got sky talk for £5 a month my broadband was free.

So in totally it cost me £23.

Sky talk for £5 a month let me call any landline number in the UK, Ireland, Canada ( there were others as well, cant remember what as i didn't need to call those countries ) you just had to hang up before the hour and call back again.

Now the fun part....... for my sky in Ireland it costs €50. The only difference is in Ireland I now have the sports package ( not sure how much extra this would of cost in UK )

I do have unlimited calls to irish and uk landlines, and with my broadband as well i'm paying €55 a month.

So thats €105 i'm paying a month compared to £23 that i was paying for the exact same in the UK.

... been a customer of sky for ten years and as our set top box died, decided to upgrade to sky+. Horrified to discover as an existing loyal customer I will be charged three times the amount for sky+ that a new customer would. Needless to say, not a customer anymore. Now to find an alternative.

... been a customer of sky for ten years and as our set top box died, decided to upgrade to sky+. Horrified to discover as an existing loyal customer I will be charged three times the amount for sky+ that a new customer would. Needless to say, not a customer anymore. Now to find an alternative.

Do keep us posted on your research/findings for an alternative, as my one year minimum sub is now well over, and am getting quite fed up with it to be honest! Will be cancelling completely, then looking around for alternatives too.

Sky have it in the bag when it comes to the sports station thats the main thing that bumps the cost up. My sisters lucikly enough have partners who are not that into sport and there packages are under 40e a month. Ours on the other hand is €105, the sports packages seem to add an excessive amount on to the end of month price!!!!

I guess you could rejoin now as a new customer and get sky+ for a third of the price you were quoted back then;)

Sky tend to have you over a barrel if you are a sports fan.

I rarely watch TV except for news, the odd BBC/RTE programme and football.

But its hard to get your football fix without SkyTV.

I think sometimes ye have to put things in perspective.I pay €70 per month for sky sports and movies and all the usual music, documentries, news etc.Now because i have all this, i dont feel the need to buy a newspaper tomorrow to read todays news and sport.When you break it down its about €2.30 a day, the price of a decent paper.If i didnt have sky and went to the pub to watch a couple of games,I wouldnt be long putting a hole in €70.

I have been with sky since 2001 and was fed up of all the offers for new customers. I got a call from sky about two weeks ago to see if I was interested in getting MUTV, i said no thank you and told him I was considering cancelling my subscription, he told me to ring the number in Cork the 0818 number and go throught the options to cancel subscription and ask if there are any offers. I did this and got throught to a very helpful girl who offered me 20% of my bill for a year. So its worth ringing and see what they offer.

Do keep us posted on your research/findings for an alternative, as my one year minimum sub is now well over, and am getting quite fed up with it to be honest! Will be cancelling completely, then looking around for alternatives too.

Back with sky! Was offered sky+ at considerable discount when cancelling subscription and as have no access to cable we really were stuck. Children have grown up with Discovery and animal planet channels and really don't want to loose them. While free to air would suit me, all others in house were not happy.

Just noticed my Sky bill is more expensive this month - has been €56 but this month was €59. I rang to see why and was told there has been an increase across the board to all customers...when I asked why I was told again "there is an increase across the board to all customers". When I asked if Sky understood there was a recession on and inflation was decreasing...the girl actually laughed, then said... "there is an increase across the board to all customers". ARGH!!!

Apparently, a letter was sent out last week but I never got it. Anyone else receive this??? I'm fuming!

Didn't get any letter. We have gotten rid of sports/movies as were costing too much and were only repeats of the movies. when talking to the guy cancelling he said people are cacelling in large number and couldn't understand why they didn't offer more offers to long-term customers like ourselves.

Every time I'm tempted to pay for something extra on Sky, I'm put off by the thing that says I'll pay £1 or €2. Bloody ripoff.

Back