Cost of setting up a Power of Attorney?

suicra05

I wanted to setup a Power of Attorney between myself and my wife. What would I expect to pay a solicitor to set this up? There are no complications as both of us are
healthy now.

Are you asking about Enduring Powers of Attorney? As opposed to Powers of Attorney?

They're very different.

The EPA is extremely fiddly and time consuming for solicitors- trying to explain what they are, how they work, who to appoint, who are the Notice Parties etc.,etc.

In my experience, solicitors will charge between 500 and 750 euro plus VAT for each.

It is possible to d.i.y. them- see this link to the legislation

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1996/si/196/made/en/print.

It's not something I would recommend - the consequences of getting it wrong are too serious.

mf

I had seen this solicitor mentioned in an article in the business post recently (haven't used him or know anything further):

HI had an EPA carried out last year cost was 700e plus VAT for all the paperwork including registration and letters to two nominees.
An unforeseen expense was the doctors fee for declaring I was of sane and sound mind and that added an extra 100e to the bill other
than that no problem also got a living will included in the 700e which is easy do do yourself However as MF1 said It is better do get an EPA carried out by a legal pro

regards

Not the same thing at all. The £164 is payable to the state - though it appears to include some 'helpline' type advice (if you need it) on getting the form right.

The closest equivalent fee in Ireland is the €60 payable to the courts service to register an enduring Power of Attorney (with no helpline).

You have the option to do without legal advice in the UK (you can use a "Certificate Provider" who does not necessarily need a formal qualification). However, many people in UK will still see a solicitor and avail of legal advice. When this happens, the costs are much the same (maybe even a little higher) in the UK.

Hi,I have power of attourney on family member,it didn't cost too much.a question for someone pls.can you make withdrawals from bank,for him.what else can I do with this power of attorney.

Not the same thing at all. The £164 is payable to the state - though it appears to include some 'helpline' type advice (if you need it) on getting the form right.

The closest equivalent fee in Ireland is the €60 payable to the courts service to register an enduring Power of Attorney (with no helpline).

You have the option to do without legal advice in the UK (you can use a "Certificate Provider" who does not necessarily need a formal qualification). However, many people in UK will still see a solicitor and avail of legal advice. When this happens, the costs are much the same (maybe even a little higher) in the UK.

MOB - it is really not difficult to fill them in yourself under the UK system and the helpline though slow is good. I agree that for a deputyship, where the person concerned has already lost capacity, then you do need a solicitor. But not for the UK LPA unless the situation is complicated. My point is there should be something similarly simple, that does not cost €850, in Ireland.

Handing over control of your property, finances and property is a big step. The UK system allows for someone who knows you to certify that you know what you want, and what you are doing. The Irish one mandates that a solicitor and a doctor be involved as a protection against elder abuse. I have done 100 + EPA documents. Perhaps 60-70% of my EPA clients ended up signing a relatively 'plain vanilla' version, but I would say less than 5% would have used a DIY option if it were available. I don't know what the stats are in UK. Possibly not available.

The UK system does require a doctor certification which I agree is vital. But I think in a world where most government relationships are now online, you might be surprised at the take-up of a DIY option. I've done it twice for family members in the UK, and as you don't have to register the Irish document with the high court until/unless the person loses capacity, I might well go the DIY option here too, using the link mf1 posted above, even though that form is not exactly a model of clarity!

Back