Cost of self build in Dublin

Shamrock

Hi guys, hopefully this is in right forum etc. I was just checking to see if anyone has gotten recent quotes for a self build in Dublin? House circa 1300 sq ft. Many thanks.

Hi guys, hopefully this is in right forum etc. I was just checking to see if anyone has gotten recent quotes for a self build in Dublin? House circa 1300 sq ft. Many thanks.

Hi Shamrock,

Can I direct you to the self-build FAQ
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=126261

The guide is a work in progress, but it may provide you with some useful advice.

Can I also suggest that as well as obtaining costs that you also familiarise yourself with the Health and Safety Legislation - here are some key links but you should go to the HSA website for up to date information:

Understanding Construction Risk Assessment - A basic guide
[broken link removed]

Guidance for homeowners undertaking construction work
[broken link removed]

Clients in Construction - Best Practice Guidance
[broken link removed]

Guidelines on the Procurement, Design and Management Requirements of the Safety Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations 2006
[broken link removed]

Summary of Key Duties under the Procurement, Design and Site Management Requirements of the Safety Health and Welfare at Work (Construction) Regulations, 2006
[broken link removed]

Using Ladders Safely - information sheet
[broken link removed]

A Guide to Safety in Excavations
[broken link removed]

If you are employing direct labour and no main contractor, are organising materials, deliveries, scaffolding, attendances for tradespeople and the like, then you are considered to be in the position of the Contractor under the Health and Safety legislation.

If in addition to this you are drawing up the plans yourself or getting someone untrained in design to do this then you may also be taking on the responsibilities of Designer under the H&S legislation.

If this is self-build for yourself and not for profit, you are not considered a Client, but to act as the Contractor you might seriously consider laying out a Health and Safety Plan for the works regardless, or appointing someone competent to do so.

Attempting work that is beyond you, or allowing someone you know is not competent to attempt such work may expose you to liability under the law.

I'm not saying this to scare you off, but to inform you - its too late ot start worrying because the scaffolding was badly erected and a bad fall resulted or something fell on someone from a height.

HTH

ONQ

[broken link removed]

Back