Cost of repairing a wooden fence

guest2004

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had to repair a wooden fence at all recently. Mine is leaning over since the last storm and it looks like 3 of the posts need replacing. I got a quote of 900 to repair it or 1500 to replace the length (40ft). I was hoping to just repair as I'm on a tight budget but 900 is more than I wanted to pay and I wouldn't be confident in doing the job myself. Can anyone suggest anyone else I could try in Dublin area?

Thanks

8 concrete posts 8 foot long 160
7 panels 25 each. 175
Concret mix. 100
2 men for 2 days. 800
Total 1235

No need for excavtor to dig 8 holes in garden

I know, but there’s no hired workman that’ll dig one hole, not to mind eight, with just a shovel and a pick axe.
Then health and safety rules won’t let them touch a concrete post without machinery.

I know, but there’s no hired workman that’ll dig one hole, not to mind eight, with just a shovel and a pick axe.
Then health and safety rules won’t let them touch a concrete post without machinery.
Ya not too many Irish lads would do this kind of work anymore. I work as a landscape Gardner and don't mind a bit of hand digging, great way to get warmed up in morning, trust me you would have 4 holes dug by the time you would have excavated brought in to back garden, you probably could do it in one day but have to wait for posts to set ,second day is a handy one just slide in panel's and tidy up, gone by 12 all going well.

I thought you might be a gardener alright. Us gardeners are the few using hand tools anymore.
I have a bit of land but I don’t farm it myself. I do some maintenance like gates and fencing, all with hand tools. A shovel is grand for a hole here or there, and likewise a mell for driving a stake, but a digger will dig a better hole than I and a post-driver will make a much better job of driving a stake. And if there are numbers involved then the machinery come into their own.
Ah well!

Back